Broke something again.. pic

mr_smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was starting to do return caps and orings when I broke this.

I have a 6.9 I can use for parts but I don't think it has the extra crap for the first injector on the passenger side.

How do I fix this?

You must be registered for see images

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the TIMING adapter from FORD, don't try to bend the line down to get it to work it can cause stress on the line in a bad bad way. It will also affect the timing of the cylinder not having it in there.

You need to go to a pick n pull to get a new one or find a member here with an extra.

If you found a VAN with an IDI it would have the #1 injector line that could work for you without that adapter.

Hope this helps

mr_smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I can't use the one off my parts 6.9? But I can use one off a van without it..

Any way I can make a new fuel line and use the old part? The threads are gouged pretty bad though

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not reliably on your own fuel lines. They have to be an exact length otherwise timing will be all over the place for each cylinder.

mr_smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this not something I'll be able to find at the dealership? I called 2 so far and they have no idea what I'm talking about. These engines go quickly at the junk yards around here, can't seem to find one

Any other way out of this?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What Al posted is correct. the van application engines had nothing on the number one cylinder hard line. This timing fitting was found on the number 4 hard lines. So if you find a van just use that number one line without the timing adapter. Or just use any line you find for that cylinder with this adapter on it. This makes it easier to find parts. I have the line if you want to pay $25.00 for it plus shipping. Ford and International sell them for around $45.00 and up. Dieselogic sells them too cheaper and so does Oregon fuel Injection. Might try calling Mel at conestoga diesel in Pa. Surely he will have these in new and used. My local Ford dealer "gave me" one for around $80.00 many years ago when I did not return the vibration dampners and broke number 2 or 4 hard line.. Can't recall which it was cause it was long ago. I recall it was the bottom line on the injection pump and they told me it was a struggle replacing it. Total bill was just short of $400.00.. Yeah.. They got me big on that one but now I know better. BTW that dealer is long gone about 9 years now too...

mr_smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might take you up on that.

I dont understand why I can use the line without the adapter off a van but not off my junk f350 6.9..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Easy explaination is this. We can't shorten the lines because they are made equal in length.So finding a replacement for that line must have the timing adapter or be that particular line off a van engine no matter if its off a 6.9 van or 7.3 van. Now if you wanting to use the same thing again just find any engine that has this timing adapter on that cylinder and line. then get that. On the intake ports where the bolts fasten the intake to the heds you will find the cylinder number cast into the manifold ports. Hope that helps you to know what each cylinder is. Or this. The drivers side is even numbered starting at the firewall to the radiator its 8,6,4,2. Odd on the passenger side from the firewall to the radiator its 7,5,3,1. You might also contact Ron aka Dls_Dog_Treats or Darrin Tosh. Good guys to work or buy from and both in Mi area.

mr_smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, tell me if this changes anything...

The adapter is still in reasonable shape. The fittings on the top is what broke. Could I use the line from my 6.9 and go into the top of the adapter with that?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
use the line off the 6.9 without that adapter. it will be fine. not sure what these guys up above are talking about. just use the complete line for number one cyl off the parts 6.9

mr_smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, that's the answer I wanted to hear.. but are you sure?

I wouldn't peg Gary as on to give out incorrect info..

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I have don't it many times. there is no difference in length of a 6.9 line and a 7.3 line with the adapter.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really guys.. This is sounding more and more like whos on first... One more time and then I will get this go. Any line you have that has this timing adapter on it will work in this broken place. Thats any line be it 6.9 or 7.3. Now if and only if you find a idi in a van can you just remove it and install it on your engine weather its a 6.9 or 7.3 without an adapter but realize this. The van line will not have this adapter on it. They do have this adapter on the number 4 cylinder which is the second one back on the drivers side of the engine. Nothing can be any clearer than what I have just posted... But wait.. I can mess it up a little because there was a line modification done to the hard lines. They cut 60 thousands off them because engineering felt because they lifted the injectors up out of the heads by that much they had to shorten the lines. When that happened I don't know. So some lines are long (by 60 thous) and some are short by the same amount. There there... Done with it finally. I really hope I was able to explain this in a clear tone and not upset anyone. This forum is interested in the truth and honesty. Not bashing anyone new or old...:angel::thumbsup: