Breaks and exhaust question

Julianq7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently purchased a 93 7.3 idi 4x4 5spd manual dually flatbed that runs great, everything I wanted in a truck. Recently installed a coolant filter on the truck to extend its life In the long run. Also cut off the muffler with a sawz-all. I ran it without the muffler for a couple days but couldn't stand the exhaust smell in the cab even when driving. I put a piece of straight pipe and 90'd it right before the passenger side wheel. the exhaust smell isn't too bad when driving but I can still smell it. When I stop at a light at idle it is really strong to a point you cant breathe. Ever since I straight piped and did the coolant filter the smell of exhaust has been overbearingly strong. The exhaust was originally behind the passenger side wheel when it had the muffler and did not smell In the cabin when driving or as bad as at a stop. My question is, could you really still smell exhaust from the tailpipe when driving or am I going crazy... these fumes are getting to my head!

Next question is about the breaks... I can not depress the pedal all the way anymore and barely have any breaking power which is concerning. when I am cruising down the road in 4th or 5th gear, It goes back to normal but right when I release the break and go back on it again it will stiffen up. Is it the pedal system that could be doing this, or maybe the master cylinder, vacuum pump??

Any advice is helpful thank you

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote vacuum pump. Also check the rubber line leaving the vacuum pump, it lays on the pass side inner fender and all the engine vibration likes to rub a hole through it underneath where you can't see it. Check for vacuum leaks all over the whole system.

P.S. When the engine is cold, start it up and quickly run your hand over the whole exhaust system to feel for leaks.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you smelling exhaust or raw diesel smell? My exhaust doesn't really make any smell except when the engine is still cold

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also people get the bright idea to disconnect the cdr and just run a road draft breather for the crankcase. That stuff can really stink and go right into the air intake around the windshield wipers. Make sure your cdr gasket is ok.

Pullet

Reaction score
I recommend checking vacuum pump, brakes get hard to operate without one, so knowing it's good is important. If it's not building vac quickly enough your brakes would act like that.

Exhaust in cab, check your shifter boots. Mine were not attached at the floor when I got my truck, and the exhaust fumes were a bit stupefying at lights.

Julianq7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the feed back. A little late but I will be replacing the vacuum pump right when I get the money. As for the exhaust, I will check for soot on manifolds and exhaust pipe. Also my shifter boot is not connected so it might be possible that is how it is getting fines in. I am smelling exhaust not any raw diesel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online