brakes question

idiburner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone i kn ow this isnt really and 7.3idi question but i didnt know any place better to ask.

i just picked up a goosneck trailer for my idi and all the wireing was tore out of it so yesturday i started wiring it and today i got to the trailer brakes 2 axles 4 brakes. but problem there is 4 wires coming out of each brake on the back side and i dont know which of the 4 wires per tire (16 wires total) do what. so any help be much thanked i already have the brake wire from the trailer connector ran back to the axles just dont know which ones to attach.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On each brake, there is two (2) wires coming out of the brake backup plate, one wire is GROUND (NEUTRAL) the other is HOT (POSITIVE), it's the same on all four wheels. There is a cross 2 wires inside each axle, they have to be connected to the main brake wires. Both wires from the brakes are usually WHITE, just connect them as above.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its as posted above. The electric trailer brakes work when the positive wire has power. It causes the brake electromagnet to activate and drag on the inside of the brake drum. As the drum rotates the magnet gets more and more power and causes the brake links to activate the shoes into the drums as any juice brakes would. This is why it takes a few miles to warm up the trailer brakes so they work best.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin