Brake light low voltage with no pedal

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've been tackling my trailer wiring today which was a complete mess. Anyways started tracking down why my tail lights are slightly on when I turn key on. Read voltage at socket 4v , checked by the BOO switch 4v. I replaced the brake on off switch and it still does it. Where could it be getting the 4v? I think this is part of the problem my cruise control is having. Truck is a 1993 F-350 4x4 auto

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That'll definitely cause issues with the cruise.
Any chance you're running leds?
Try at the turn signal and headlight switch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running leds, but I disconnected one and tested at socket with 4v. You think it's getting the power from the turn signal swith?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well here's the thing. (And no one has come up with a solid reason for it) the obs trucks just seem to do that. Mine did it, many others also. When you run factory incandescent lights, it's not a problem, since they pull more current. But throw in leds which draw nothing, and this happens.
You can use resistors to fix it usually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
That low voltage is put on the circuit by the Cruise Control box and/or the TECA. ..... not sure if its supposed to be 4v, but that is part of the circuit to make sure all the bulbs are working. Remember, the E4OD "watches" the brake lights, and if you have a bad bulb, it can mess with the transmission, like when the turn signal is on, the torque converter will lock and unlock in sequence the flashing light.....

Some people even see the LED light illuminate all the time, because the LED's take so little current to light, this small control current will make them light. A classic incandescent bulb take much more current to illuminate, but the filament provides a complete path for this control current, and everything is happy. This is where the resistors that Jasper mentioned come into play. They make the resistance of the circuit equal "electrically" to what the incandescent bulbs are with the LED's. This is also the same reason you see the turn signal flash really fast when LEDs are installed on an older vehicle. The turn circuit is not drawing as much current as it "should" so the flasher flashes faster, to indicate a burned out bulb...........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online