Brake caliper replacement?

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
So my left right brake caliper is leaking pretty good. I have never seen that before. It will be an easy fix. So I am going to replace the entire caliper. What is the best brand to get?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have autozone specials. Seem to be ok so far. While you at in there...do yourself a favor. Go ahead and replace the other side too. If one is leaking, the other probably isn't far behind. Your pads will be soaked with fluid too, so plan on new pads. The rubber lines to the calipers are cheap. Buy new ones and replace those. If one bursts, it makes it really difficult to stop!

In my opinion, it will cost you some money, but you know it is done right, and you will have nice EVEN stopping power.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I rebuilt my chevy C30 calipers only once. Best I can tell you is all the piston to body seal is a square piece of what might be called an o ring. For me its usually not worth rebuilding them. If the pistons are damaged you are deep into parts by then.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
So my left right brake caliper is leaking pretty good. I have never seen that before. It will be an easy fix. So I am going to replace the entire caliper. What is the best brand to get?

I have a set of new remans from VatoZone if you want them they sold me the new style with slider pins my 85 uses the spring style so can't use them. Paid $45 apiece I'll sell them for $35 apiece. 0 miles on them surface rust but otherwise good shape.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I have a set of new remans from VatoZone if you want them they sold me the new style with slider pins my 85 uses the spring style so can't use them. Paid $45 apiece I'll sell them for $35 apiece. 0 miles on them surface rust but otherwise good shape.

I wish I could. But I wont have the money for them until Friday and I have to fix in on Saturday. Also I never thought of VatoZone. I always called it AutoCrone, like cronyism.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I rebuilt my chevy C30 calipers only once. Best I can tell you is all the piston to body seal is a square piece of what might be called an o ring. For me its usually not worth rebuilding them. If the pistons are damaged you are deep into parts by then.

It costs more to fill the tank than to buy a new caliper. I wont be rebuilding.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I have autozone specials. Seem to be ok so far. While you at in there...do yourself a favor. Go ahead and replace the other side too. If one is leaking, the other probably isn't far behind. Your pads will be soaked with fluid too, so plan on new pads. The rubber lines to the calipers are cheap. Buy new ones and replace those. If one bursts, it makes it really difficult to stop!

In my opinion, it will cost you some money, but you know it is done right, and you will have nice EVEN stopping power.

I wish I had the money to get 2 new of everything. But I dont and I can only afford the parts I really need to keep it going.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always been told if you replace one caliper on one side only, sometimes the other side will start leaking horribly because it can't hold pressure as well as the first side

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We call it VatoZone here too. If you dont hable espanol you might as well not go there.

If you can only do one caliper do the other asap. its just as bad as the other one

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Yeah man I miss the "South of the Border" Friends instead of VatoZone it's more like CletusZone
Freaken hate South East Tx.

AnyBody Else needs the calipers the offer stays.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone measure their dipstick tube and get back with me? Small one is .585 larger one is 47/64th (a little over .75)