Blown head gasket, or ??????????

Hutchew

Reaction score
Take my truck out tonite and, after warming it up, romp on it a few times, couple of 4th-5th 2800 rpm runs. Usually only push 37-38 psi Boost, but can always peg 1600* on the pyro, no problem, just gotta let off it a little bit and they run 12-1250. Tonight, a little humid & cold (yeah, I know what that does) boost jumps to just under 45 psi, most I have ever seen. Hold it for less than a couple of seconds, as the pyro is more-or-less buried. Get to where I'm going and shut the truck down, steam rising out the front, and a puddle of anti-freeze leaking out from under the front right side of the radiator. Lovely, I think, musta blown a radiator hose. Pop the hood, and can't find where it's leaking (It's dark, and my beloved 5 yr old daughter has made off with the Maglight I keep in the truck, AGAIN). Slowly unscrew the rad-cap, has a little pressure on it, but methinks, if the rad hose is burst, shouldn't I have nada for pressure? Flick my bic, and see that radiator is down to less than half full. Also see a little oily crud on the rad-cap, too. Not good, methinks. Best just get the pig home, and fix it in the daylight. So, top off the rad with the extra I carry in the toolbox, check the overflow tank, too.
HMMMMMMM..........overflow is full to the top and has about an inch of oily, foamy, bubbly crap floating on the surface. That solves the problem of where the mix was coming from. So I figure I have fudged the head gasket, but I have no bubbles in the radiator with it running at idle. Of course, at idle, there is very little boost, so maybe it only shows up at higher boost levels?
Romped on it again a few times on the way back home (if it's fudged, well then, it's fudged), but never saw 45 psi again, only went to 38 before I let off due to the EGT's. Didn't lose any more anti-freeze, either.
No strange noises, and run's as good as ever. So what do ya'll ex-spurts think? Where is the oil coming from? How could the radiator be half full of air and the overflow tank be full of mix? IMO, it's gotta be a head gasket, or worse, a cracked head or block. Hmmm.....didn't pull the dipstick on it.....BRB.
Nope, oil's clean, no water in it. But now that it's cooled down some, the radiator is down about 1-1/2", and the overflow tank is down @2".:confused:

So what gives?

infidel

Full of It
Reaction score
My bet is the head gasket. It's probably allowing compression and oil pressure into the cooling system. The compression or boost forces coolant out, the oil turns it gunky.
It could also be as simple as a loose head bolt allowing the head to warp a little when warmed up leading to the intermittent problem.

Hutchew

Reaction score
Thanks infidel.......

I'm pretty sure that's what it is, too. Don't understand about the oil in the radiator, though. Maybe it's diesel, but the engine isn't missing? On our 855's, 'bout the only way to get oil in the water is through the oil cooler, which these motors don't have. Guess I'll check to see if it's oil or diesel tomorrow.

On another note, what happened to all those guys here who know so much about these 12v's? 40+ views and only one reply? I figured I'de have at least a dozen or so by now.........

Merry Christmas, everybody. Hope you all had a great one.:)

infidel

Full of It
Reaction score
Hutchew, you're probably not getting much response because it's one of those things you almost have to see in person to diagnose correctly. It takes very little oil to turn things gunky.
It being a 1st Gen probably doesn't help much either.

Just noticed you have a '98 engine, there is an oil cooler that is known to leak oil into the coolant. It's behind the oil filter on the block. Remove it and test with compressed air.

Last edited:

MCummings

Reaction score
What turbo?

45PSI on an HX-35 and it's writing it's last will and testimony.

At 45PSI you are well oevr 80PSI backpressure. Would you run 80PSI boost ? You just did. (in theory)

What happens is the head actually lifts, and when you let off, it sels back. It could be, you lifted the head, and now you are ok, but it might have screwed the HG.

If it's still fine, then keep truckin, otherwise, it's HG time.

Merrick

CHarlan

Reaction score
I can vouch for Merrick.... Running anything over 40 psi on a stock 35 is like running on borrowed time! I grenaded mine at 49 psi... and I mean KABOOM!!!! Just watch out, and pray its not a head gasket.

CHarlan

Reaction score
Ok, yeah... I say to watch out for your PSI's.... Now it looks like my head gasket is a gonner... oil in the coolant, gunk on radiator cap... yeah, all the classic symptoms... I drained all the nasty **** out into the street, since its raining here, and put straight water into the cooling system. It seemed to clean up quite a bit... does this sound like a head gasket to y'all?

MCummings

Reaction score
What does your water temperature do? Does it climb easily with high EGT?

Does the truck smell like coolant?

After a hard run is the overflow bottle full and Bubbly?

Does your Radiator hold pressure?

There are times that the head is only lifted for a moment, but settles right back in.. Coul dbe the case.

Be sure to put some type of rust inhibitor,, things Rust up FAST in these motors.

Oh yah, Is your EGT lower idling than normal, and higher cruising?

Merrick

CHarlan

Reaction score
Water Temp is the same... no real big changes.

Truck does NOT smell like Coolant

overflow bottle is full, not bubbly though.. do not want to run it hard till I get problem solved!

I will get some Antifreeze tomorrow to put in there

Radiator seems to be holding pressure

EGT's are consistent from what I have observed.

What do you think Merrick? I know you have had these problems before.. What do you recommend?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Staff online