Blowing black smoke when I step on it

redroadrunner

Reaction score
I have 2005 F-350 with 6.0 and when I step on it then blows black smoke and sounds like its starvin for air.I hear a sound like its coming from the breather and I just changed it out.But when I let up and ease back on the pedal it clears up for a while.Does any body have a clue,I sure can use some help.It also starts losing power when this happen and all my gages look ok also..

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
How much black smoke? A haze or block out the sun? Any performance mods?

How is the truck driven? Is it an in-town grocery getter, or does it work hard for a living? Babying a 6.0 is the quickest way to "make it mad". If mine is driven easy, or to get the kids to and from school (1.5 mi round trip at the most) it is really sluggish when I first take it on the interstate. A couple of good, hard accelerations and he helps to clean the EGR and Turbo out. Does it idle alot?

redroadrunner

Reaction score
FIRST OFF, I have changed the EGR out not long ago.And I use the truck for work and pleasure.I always try to blow it out every now and then.But like I said it loses power and sounds like its starvin for air through the air box and I let off and it clears up for a while.How can you check the EGR VALVE to see if its bad.