Blow by coming from beneath turbo.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did head gaskets on my idi, and now there appears to be blow by coming from underneath the turbo. It also looks like the pedestal may be leaking oil. ATS turbo for those wondering.

The grommet in the valley pan was replaced. Not sure what's going on here. Any thoughts? Maybe just the o-ring in the turbo pedestal? I didn't replace that.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you test fit the grommet on the pedestal to make sure it fit snug?

No. This was a multi person project, and I didn't do that past. I'm guessing it's time to pull the turbo. It looks like the pedestal is of to one side of the grommet.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah. That explains it. The grommet was from a head gasket set. Probably a cdr grommet.

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
yep. the opening is to big. good luck finding a grommet. search on here, there was a grommet number for a gasser PCV that fit it nicely.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are in the red help packs at most auto parts. You can read the number in the picture.
This one has rtv applied to the groove that fits in valley pan.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I've found one that will work. Dorman part 42344 apparently works. I'll have to pick one up. But oil is also leaking from the turbo pedestal, because I think my o ring went missing. Not sure where to get one of those.

sassyrel

Reaction score
I think I've found one that will work. Dorman part 42344 apparently works. I'll have to pick one up. But oil is also leaking from the turbo pedestal, because I think my o ring went missing. Not sure where to get one of those.

just measure the inside dia of the pedestal where the o ring sits. then get one with that outside dia.. its a thicker,,not thinner o ring...