Bilsteins on order!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NapaBavarian said:
I've noticed that trucks that sit lower in the rear are a bit looser handeling, not sure if it is coincidence or possibly the change in caster angle.

That seems like a lot of play, I'll check mine tomorrow.
That makes sense...I think what I really need are new springs all around, but I don't want to think about what that'll cost LOL Interesting that that'll make the truck handle looser...it makes sense, though...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NapaBavarian said:
Check NPD, I think they run arround/under $100 each
$400 for all 4...that doesn't sound unreasonable (although I don't know what the "normal" price for these are)...it's still more than I have to spare, though. :(

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
I paid $54 each for my front billstines, haven't done the rears yet but IIRC they are the same price.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
bikepilot said:
I paid $54 each for my front billstines, haven't done the rears yet but IIRC they are the same price.

The $400 for the set was springs, but I'd need to check NPD to see for sure.

Did you get the HD shocks or the standard/comfort shocks?

2500cummins

Reaction score
Caster can have a large effect on wander.
Too little caster and the truck will wander and the steering will not want to return quite all the way to center, it will feel vague over center. Too much caster will cause heavy steering, the wheel will snap right back to center when you let go after a turn.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
NapaBavarian said:
The $400 for the set was springs, but I'd need to check NPD to see for sure.

Did you get the HD shocks or the standard/comfort shocks?

Oh, i thought the $400 was shocks LOL

I have no idea which shocks I got, I didn't know there were more than one version available. Please fill me in :Sly

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
My shocks were only $250 ;Really

I like Bistiens because they are gas (presurized) and make the ride a bit stiffer, no caddy sway. They also really keep the tires on the ground when the road gets bumpy, important in a turn ;Sweet and bilstiens are well made so they last a long time, fastest I ever had a pair wear out was ~40,000 miles and that was because the springs were so worn out that it cycled the shocks with the caddy ride -cuss untill they were gone -cuss -cuss

Hydro shocks are cheaper by far, softer ride, not so much road holding, but fine if you don't like the stiff ride of gas and dont drive hundreds of miles of twisty potholed road each month :backoff

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
I think most all shocks are gas presurized, at least in recent history. Even the stockers I took off my truck were gas pressurized. Dito for my dad's '82 burb and all the other cars I've messed with. But yes, I do like the Bilstiens. I have a frind with ~300k on a set of them and they are still doing well:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online