Big Ugly goes to rehab

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had decided on them a while ago and then while doing some research saw your opinion of them and it sealed the deal so to speak.

Disappointed I missed out when you had yours up for sale but I was snoozing.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had decided on them a while ago and then while doing some research saw your opinion of them and it sealed the deal so to speak.

Disappointed I missed out when you had yours up for sale but I was snoozing.
Well you didnt miss out, theyre still on the truck. Havent gotten a chance to install my big brake kit and do some testing, but really for not having hydroboost the shop truck stops excellent, part of the reason why I havent been in much of a hurry to screw with it...

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you didnt miss out, theyre still on the truck. Havent gotten a chance to install my big brake kit and do some testing, but really for not having hydroboost the shop truck stops excellent, part of the reason why I havent been in much of a hurry to screw with it...

Haha that's funny. Well if you're still using them then they need to stay where they are. Can't have you driving around without brakes.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay more dash stuff.

As @IDIoit mentioned in my asking for dash removal help thread the tabs that bolt the OBS dash to the giant aluminum column support bracket are very fragile'.

So being as careful as I could removing the dash it was clear those tabs were already in bad shape prior to.

Here's the main/center tab prior to repair.
You must be registered for see images attach

Using the ABS and acetone melting technique I was able to fill the cracks. As before I did not try to close the gaps and re-glue as I did not want to introduce the tension back to the bonded part.

Once that cures I'll fiberglass the tabs except for where the nut-clip mounts to strengthen these mounting points.

Man I've got some work to get done by the 6th.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so more dash progress today.

Got things glassed and was about ready to paint. I needed to remove the bolts near the defrost vents before painting. Well when I went to unscrew the right most bolt the mount on the internal housing broke off. Damnit.

I wasn't originally intending on separating the two sections but decided this made it necessary so I could fix the broken tab. Here you can see the crack after I'd rebonded it with acetone. I went on to use the acetone/ABS slurry to strengthen the tab and it's good now.

Separating the 2 parts also allowed me to clean areas that I couldn't reach before. I also found a few more areas that needed repair.

So after getting all these things repaired with the ABS slurry I washed the outer shell and got ready to paint it.
Before.

After.

It was nice to paint it apart from the inner section and they separate and go back together easily so I'm actually glad I had to take the extra steps.

Reassembled and ready to go back in the truck in the morning.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has been one of my favorite threads here!

I think I have developed a bit of PTSD from all the OCD shown throughout.

However that is mostly offset by all of the out of the box thinking, DIY!!!

Thanks. I'm glad someone besides me is getting some enjoyment from it. Plus it just helps to have a running dialog of a project like this. Helps keep you on track.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next update.

Today was a pivotal day. The plan has been to leave for the rally next Saturday so I need to make steady and significant progress for this truck to be driveable by then.

Failure would mean driving this.

Not a bad way to travel but I don't want to show up in a Cummins at the IDI rally ya dig.

So today I busted my butt. It was hot. Really hot today. 90 by 11 am and reached 100 by about 3 pm. I worked outside in it all day.

Drank a half gallon of water in 5 hours and never ***'d once.

But the end result was this.

That puts me striking distance and the IDI will be rally bound next Saturday.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but he didn't drive it and I was sad LOL
Well, given the choice between the Cummins ranger and a PSD Ex for travel, it’s hard to argue with the creature comforts in the Ex. It’s still a ranger, diesel or not. He drove it to KY the year before. Cans full of veggie and all. You could smell him coming. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin