Big gash near oil pan? Or in oil pan?

Ct96

Reaction score
I attached photos. Went to change my oil and noticed this big gash near my oil pan. What the heck?!? It looks like it popped from pressure. This is definitely not normal right??? How bad is it to keep driving the truck for now? (It's my only work truck)

1992 7.3 idi in a Ford f350 dually 2 door body...

Im freaking out !! Please advise
https://imgur.com/a/7glqObr link to album

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not fret thats the flex llate/ flywheel inspection plate. Probably have a bad rear main seal where the oil is coming from

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Ct96

Reaction score
Do not fret thats the flex llate/ flywheel inspection plate. Probably have a bad rear main seal where the oil is coming from

I feel like a *******. So it's supposed to be open like that? Thank you for your reply. The leak isn't bad at all so I'll just ignore that.

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like a *******. So it's supposed to be open like that? Thank you for your reply. The leak isn't bad at all so I'll just ignore that.
Not supposed to be like that, is it auto or stick? If it's stick it's possible the clutch blew a part a little bit and wrecked the inspection cover, could be from previous owner though. I wouldn't worry about it if the truck drives fine

Ct96

Reaction score
Not supposed to be like that, is it auto or stick? If it's stick it's possible the clutch blew a part a little bit and wrecked the inspection cover, could be from previous owner though. I wouldn't worry about it if the truck drives fine

It's stick, that would make sense. It does drive fine, I'll just ignore it then. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't dumping lubricant out of that hole. Transmission fluid or oil or otherwise. The truck has 140k miles so someone probably has done the clutch at some point.

Thankyou again!!

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's stick, that would make sense. It does drive fine, I'll just ignore it then. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't dumping lubricant out of that hole. Transmission fluid or oil or otherwise. The truck has 140k miles so someone probably has done the clutch at some point.

Thankyou again!!
No problem, it's not a bad idea to pull it off and inspect the clutch, it's 4? 7/16? Or 1/2" just make sure you're not missing part of the ckut h, it'll also show you how much material is left.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Actually it is supposed to be like that. I'd guess that it's to let out anything that gets leaked out by the rear of the engine or the front of the transmission. If you look at it closely, that's close to, if not the part of the inspection cover. Can you imagine how much fluid would build up in there before it leaked out over the sides of the cover? Why it's such a big "slit", I have no real idea.

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually it is supposed to be like that. I'd guess that it's to let out anything that gets leaked out by the rear of the engine or the front of the transmission. If you look at it closely, that's close to, if not the part of the inspection cover. Can you imagine how much fluid would build up in there before it leaked out over the sides of the cover? Why it's such a big "slit", I have no real idea.
My auto has like a drain tube on it. Maybe manual is different?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing a few with that tube. Maybe it's only on the E4ODs. It seems like the C6s didn't have the tube.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's normal. My ZF5's came with inspection covers like that.

I personally just remove the darned things; I know it lets water and such up there, but meh. Never had a problem.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep supposed to be like that. It let's all the crud and crap out so it doesn't get up into the clutch. Some e4od's have the tube, mine doesn't....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert