Big Block C6 on 6.9

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been searching for hours now trying to find an answer to this (instead of going to class)....

I know the C6 guts are slightly different between the two... like you'd need the diesel throttle valve modulator, and its slightly weaker...

I couldn't find this source again, but a month ago I read the BBF pattern is ALMOST a diesel pattern, except the top two bolts are slightly higher on the diesel?

Couldn't a guy just drill and tap those two holes on the IDI's adapter plate and be done with it? Find C6/6.9 flexplate, and use the 460 torque convertor?

Kinda curious, in case a big block C6 turns up on one of my scavenger hunts...

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure your only abt. a half a hole out on those top holes. Why go through all the trouble, get a diesel c6 and be done with it.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
460 TC won't work with the 6.9. You'll need more rpm for the 460 TC. 6.9s are low rpm 'stump pullers'. ;Sweet These horses are Clydesdales not Mustangs.:D :thumbsup:

Rick

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember right my E4OD bellhousing has a couple extra ears that I assume were for the 460 bolt pattern. I don't know if the C6 bellhousings are the same or not.

Another difference you will see is the bottom of the diesel bellhousing is machined off to allow access to the torque converter bolts. This is because the diesel oil pan is much larger than a gassers' so you can't access the converter the same.

I know at least one person here adapted a 460 manual trans to a diesel. How much work it was, and how well it worked I don't know.

BTW, a big block C6 is easy to find. The 351M, 400 and 460 all used the same bolt pattern. Probably 1/3 of all Ford large cars and trucks made in the 70's used a big block C6.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bottom of a 460 bell is the same as a diesels, the 4 speed bellhousings even carry the same casting #, BUT, the diesel one has larger boltholes, the top 4 bolts line up, the bottom two don't, and the dowel pins are a different size/location.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know at least one person here adapted a 460 manual trans to a diesel. How much work it was, and how well it worked I don't know.

That would be me, I put a 460 on a diesel trans. The c6 cannot be done, I have one of each in the shop right now for rebuild and the castings are unique to each engine.
The diesel c6 has an extra couple of clutches in the forward pack ,1or 2 more in the high, dont remember at the moment. The modulator is different but can be tuned to work, the converters are different, the diesel actually has a higher stall because it has so much torque at idle, or so the rebuilder tells me
The zf-5 had enough meat on the bellhousing to drill it for the 460 pattern. The top holes are the same but the dowels and lower bolts are not. When I pull the trans later this year I will take photos to post

82f100, you might want to look again the second set of bolts look close but are a half a hole off.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, a big block C6 is easy to find. The 351M, 400 and 460 all used the same bolt pattern. Probably 1/3 of all Ford large cars and trucks made in the 70's used a big block C6.

This is entirely why I ask.;Sweet If I go to the boneyard and ask for a diesel C6, I'm looking at big bucks. If I checking out the "wrecking" section in the local ads, and find a 400M with a C6, I can grab it for next to nothing.

If I pick one up for 50 bucks and it sits in the back of my truck for ages, no worries. It would defintely be easier to grab a diesel C6, and I will if I come across one, but most likely, I'll find a BBF one first. Just to know if it'll work or not is key.

Typ4: the bellhousing are close enough, correct? Do you think someone could drill the holes in the IDI's adapter plate, and get away with it?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rangerwreck-
you by any change an civil/structural/mechanical engineering student?
you remind me of a buddy of mime who is a Caltrans engineer. he always had some seriously off the wall ideas back in college days. Now he drives job foremens through the roof.
seriously speaking, consider the size of a diesel flywheel before sinking too much time and money into this idea of yours. You might find that the upper bellhousing was modified to fit for the diesel. Ford has always had a serious aversion to part number proliferation until 10-15 years ago. If they could use something off the shelf from another vehicle, you can bet they did.

Last edited:

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Alright, so flywheel won't fit, that's a no-go, will check that off on my list.....

.....just a cheap-ass engineering student looking for cheap-ass fixes!

I'm gonna be some bean counter's wet dream one day :)

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you need the c6 for, I have a diesel one that came out of a van cheap or?? You are just one state and an Intl, border from me and I like road trips. No the big block one wont work I just double checked

My swap was a 5 speed, not auto

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks typ4, but that's alright! I'm not actively looking for one, just it case it comes across in my travels. And as Mr Roboto said, BBF C6s are a dime a dozen.

I like slushboxes for everything but small/fast cars. The T19 I've got works fine, but if I could get a C6 for cheap/easy, I'd pick it up for a future project. I just quit smoking, so it's getting easier to steer, shift and hold on to a coffee at the same time now...... :)

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
typ4 your correct when i bought my truck the trans was toast. it had a broken direct drum and a few other things. so i rebuilt it , every thing inside a 460 c6 is the same except 2 extra clutches in the forward clutch pack. and i know the bellhousing is different from experience. been there done that.