Better oil filter?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have NO idea if what I was given are any good ...

Fleetguard LF 3630 for oil filters was given several new in wrappers and fuel filters too the FS 1281 ....

I do know they were free n new so dunno if any good is all LOL

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the filter I asked about in the first post.

This had me thrown off.

By chance do you know who makes the Mobil 1 filters?

No I don't I would be guessing. Mobil1 is a excellent quality filter also, But I have had strange issues with some in the past, But on Occasion I use them in a pinch...

Javier

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Did some searching and came up with "champion labs" for the manufacturer of Mobil 1 filters.
I don't know if that's good or bad.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some searching and came up with "champion labs" for the manufacturer of Mobil 1 filters.
I don't know if that's good or bad.

I did some research some time ago, I found using AMSOIL I never have to worry about bad...

Javier

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
WIX 51792XD (Interchange from Donaldson ELF7405)

Part Number:
51792XD
UPC Number:
Principle Application:
Extended Drain Version of 51792
Applications
Style:
Spin-On Lube Filter
Service:
Lube
Type:
Full Flow/By-Pass
Media:
Wire/Glass
Height:
Outer Diameter Top:
Outer Diameter Bottom:
Closed:
Thread Size:
1 1/2-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI:
None
Beta Ratio:
B2=5
Burst Pressure-PSI:
Max Flow Rate:
28-30 gpm
Nominal Micron Rating:

Number
O.D.
I.D.
Thk.
Attached

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Powerstroke Filter 51734 (For Comparison - Micron Rating is smaller on this one)

Part Number:
UPC Number:
Principle Application:
Ford/IHC Trucks w/7.3L Turbo Diesel (94-03)
Applications
Style:
Spin-On Lube Filter
Service:
Lube
Type:
Full Flow
Media:
Paper
Height:
Outer Diameter Top:
Outer Diameter Bottom:
Closed:
Thread Size:
1 1/2-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI:
None
Beta Ratio:
2/20=6/20
Burst Pressure-PSI:
Max Flow Rate:
28-30 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating:

Number
O.D.
I.D.
Thk.
Attached

Reaction score
Nominal isn't the number I'd be concerned with. I'd be more interested in the Beta ratios, in which case the two you posted are still pretty close to one another. Anywho, the thing to focus in on, and the line that's not seen in the Wix literature you posted, is the capacity of the filter. Generally speaking, a fiberglass media filter will hold more dirt than cellulose, and will typically do it without seeing as much of a pressure differential across the media as you would see in cellulose for any given amount of dirt. That, combined with the extra amount of surface area you get with the extra length (assuming same pleat count and fold depth) is where the longevity of the filter comes from.

Mike

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Nominal isn't the number I'd be concerned with. I'd be more interested in the Beta ratios, in which case the two you posted are still pretty close to one another. Anywho, the thing to focus in on, and the line that's not seen in the Wix literature you posted, is the capacity of the filter. Generally speaking, a fiberglass media filter will hold more dirt than cellulose, and will typically do it without seeing as much of a pressure differential across the media as you would see in cellulose for any given amount of dirt. That, combined with the extra amount of surface area you get with the extra length (assuming same pleat count and fold depth) is where the longevity of the filter comes from.

Mike

I wasn't saying it wasn't a better or worse filter, just noting the difference. Beta wasn't mentioned because as you said, they are pretty close. The fact that it has better media, is 4+ inches longer and 1+ inches larger in diameter than even the PSD filter as well.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I wasn't saying it wasn't a better or worse filter, just noting the difference. Beta wasn't mentioned because as you said, they are pretty close. The fact that it has better media, is 4+ inches longer and 1+ inches larger in diameter than even the PSD filter as well.

So you think the original filter in question should be a good one?

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Donaldson ELF or Syntec is a great filter but it's expensive and it only makes financial sense if you are going to use all of it's capabilities. The specs I have is that its 98.7% efficient at 15 microns. That is about as good as it gets in the full flow world and I believe Amsoil uses that same media. That Wix example above, Beta2/20=6/20 is only 95% efficient at 20 microns, so it's considerably less efficient than the Donaldson. The Nominal Rating is useless: its only the size of particle the filter can catch 50% of on the first pass.

I will warn you that Wix is really getting screwy with their filter data and "homogenizing" many of them in a way that makes no sense. That XD filter is a prime example.

The only advantage to a larger filter is that more media allows for less pressure drop across the media (cold starts and cool starts plus high rpms) so the filter will bypass less. More media area also can carry more contaminants (though the efficiency will be dictated by the type of media, not how much there is of it). That allows you to run a longer interval but the extra capacity only pays you back if you use it. . I got some averages from some engineers at big fitler manufacturers and it was that the average passenger car filter is only 50% loaded at the end of a normal OEM oil change interval 7.5K). That number might go up for a tired a sooty diesel, but it's likely that the standard FL874 for our rigs is seldom fully loaded at the end of a 4-6K interval, or even close to it.

In general, synthetic media can be made more efficient with with less flow restriction. Good media flow is important with thick oil at cold starts and avoiding bypass (whereby some or all oil bypasses the filter) on cold or cool starts or high rpms. Synthetic media also has much more capacity to carry contaminants. Per square inch, most syn media can carry double the amount of contaminants that the average cellulose media. It often has nearly double the clean flow, per square inch. It can be hard to get that capacity spec sometimes but for one of my trucks, the premium cellulose media listed for the application can carry 18 grams of contaminants before the top level differential pressure is reached (filter blockage that leads to bypass). A premium syn media filter for he same application with nearly the same amount of media is rated for 31 grams...nearly double.

The main advantage to a high efficiency filter, and the advantage that can potentially return the extra investment, is the oil service life extension. Cleaner oil lasts longer in service because the additive package is less challenged and depletes more slowly. This applies strongly to the antioxidants and soot control additives.

Some will tout the lowering of wear and engine life extension benefits. That's more of a red herring in the financial sense. There is a range of oil cleanliness levels where the reduction in wear really levels off. In other words, the reduction in wear by going from a "normal" premium filter that's 95% at 20 microns (micron abbreviated "um") to one that is 98.7% @ 15 um, is not going to be huge and the extra expense will not be returned unless you crank on a lot of annual miles and run the engine for many years. The benefits curve is much steeper going from an old-dyle filter that was 95% @ 40 um to one that is 95% @ 20 um so that improvement pays off better.

The the bottom line here is that if you aren't going to significantly extend your oil change interval, a super premium filter like the Donaldson is not going to return your investment short of the next millennium. With that much syn media in a "footlong" filter, running a 4-6K OCI, I doubt the filter would even be carrying 10% of it's rated capacity.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Good.
I'm not one for doing 3k oci's, I like going further before changing it.
I know just a filter isn't some magical oci extender, but it does help.
I plan to switch to synthetic oil hopefully my next oil change.

I see what Jim Allen is saying, but maybe a person could go two oil changes on one filter. Or more.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I've run my gassers with WIX filters, 10,000 mile oci, and synthetic oil. I've sold my last 5 vehicles with in excess of 300,000 miles, one over 400,000 and they still ran quite well. So you may well extend your oci quite a bit on synthetic as well. I know, gassers aren't dirt spewing diesels.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going for the long haul on my filters, Minimum 25,000 interval service.
I'm over the 15,000 mile mark with my 7.3
That is a new engine, fresh machined 100%
AMSOIL Full Flow PSD size EAO99
Plus a Obsolete Bypass filter installed.
Just took my first Oil Analysis
Results soon...

Javier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online