Better acceleration cold than warm!

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. I have never applied voltage to that solenoid. I assume another temp sensor or some other controller sends power to the cold advance

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's what that is. lol
going to test that as soon as the sun rises. Thanks Wes.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is because your timing advance is probably still hooked to the fast idle solenoid.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. The timing advance IS is on same circuit as the fast idle solenoid. Makes sense also.My fast idle has never worked so my advanced may never have worked. Have to put a VOM on both tomorrow morning and check. I think a possible problem could be my air cleaner sucking hot air from the engine compartment. Don't have the piping to the outside yet.

Last edited:

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fast idle has never worked so my advanced may never have worked.
The advance can still work even if the high idle doesn't work. My high idle doesn't work, but the engine sound changes noticeably when you plug in / unplug the connector. It makes an absolutely awful racket at and above 1500rpm, so I leave mine disconnected.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the switch is dead like i mentioned neither will have power...
Is the solenoid / switch / "thingy" that raises the idle RPM also the mechanism for advancing the pumps timing when cold? Or are they two separate components that are controlled by the same temperature switch? Like I said before, my engine sound will change with the advance plugged in (and it'll change back to normal when it comes up to temp), but the idle rpm won't come up and it'll actually idle rough.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the solenoid / switch / "thingy" that raises the idle RPM also the mechanism for advancing the pumps timing when cold? Or are they two separate components that are controlled by the same temperature switch? Like I said before, my engine sound will change with the advance plugged in (and it'll change back to normal when it comes up to temp), but the idle rpm won't come up and it'll actually idle rough.

Check the plunger on the high idle and see if it is screwed in where it doesn't work. Mine was all the way in so the advance worked but the idle didn't. I backed it out till it just touched the throttle linkage now it idles around 900 cold.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online