Betsy the Worktruck

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Front seats are out, interior is vacuumed, and some old hersheys is still stuck in there.

I have 3 or 4 rust spots and holes I will weld patches into. Anyone know what that odd oval thing is for in the floor? I want to patch it but don’t know if it is an access.

Plan is to remove the rear seat tomorrow along with the floor liner. I think the insulation is saturated with water so that will come out. Will remove the current black crusty sound proofing. After welding, some por15 and new insulation. @Thewespaul do you think that stuff you recommended for the hood will work?

Should be new in no time! I work on it when our son naps so its small steps.

You must be registered for see images attach

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@chillman88 I had to replace the door pin bushings because it was sagging and leaking. That was the main issue. And the windshield corner which is sealed now. I’ll make it dry soon enough.

@IDIBRONCO I pried on it for 2 seconds with a screwdriver but I will give it a better shot tomorrow. Plan to redo the whole frame one day so may need that!

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While you've got that much of the interior out, you might consider getting some new or at least better door seals especially now that it's hanging straight. That and replacing the plastic striker bushing on the door latch and I was quite impressed with the difference in wind noise it made on the two trucks I've done it on.

If you've got old but solid seals, one trick is to pull some packing cord through the center of the seal. You can get it at any hardware store and it some kind of spongy closed cell foam cord available in several diameters used to fill up expansion joints before sealing them. I think I use 3/8 but it may have been 1/4. It was kind of a trick to get it snaked through the whole length but it was a lot cheaper than new seals. I did this on my '97 as an interim fix and it's been great for a couple years now.

Last edited:

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@chillman88 I had to replace the door pin bushings because it was sagging and leaking. That was the main issue. And the windshield corner which is sealed now. I’ll make it dry soon enough.

@IDIBRONCO I pried on it for 2 seconds with a screwdriver but I will give it a better shot tomorrow. Plan to redo the whole frame one day so may need that!
Yes. It's the access to the front cab mount bolt. There's one under each floor pan and one under the floor at each rear point of the cab. They rust and theres a rubber gasket under them that sticks. Just pry it up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go find yourself some grace ice and water shield, for roofs, or an alternative like it. Like that same stuff made for sealing around windows and doors.

Put that on as a sound deadener before you lay the carpet or mats or whatever, back down.

Put some on the back wall of the cab, and on the inside of the firewall, too.

It does make a difference. Is cheaper than the sound deadener stuff that was made for the purpose. And does not make it smell like a roof. (Most common question I've gotten about it.)

I haven't done my truck yet. But I did that to a trooper. Thing was like a tin can, rattling down the road before I did it. Afterward, sounded like a luxury car. I also took the inner door panel off, and coated the inside of the outer door panels with it. Did that first. And that, all by itself, made a huge difference.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well @Selahdoor thats a good recommendation except it looks like they sell it in 225sq ft for $185 at Lowes. Maybe to coat the whole truck! I only need 20sq ft tops. I’ll look around.

Thanks @aggiediesel01 I will for sure get some off wherever is cheapest, probably lmc or bronco graveyard. The upper portion is in good condition but the lower is chewed up.

@hacked89 guess I will pull both out and maybe just cut some plexi to adhere to it for now. Cab is coming of in a year or so.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are most welcome!

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Installed the insulation on the hood @Thewespaul recommended and it looks great! Also put garage door liner on the cowl to keep water off of the intake. RTV too. Now to mess with the Subaru some more, maybe lunch.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Installed the insulation on the hood @Thewespaul recommended and it looks great! Also put garage door liner on the cowl to keep water off of the intake. RTV too. Now to mess with the Subaru some more, maybe lunch.

I would put that garage door liner upside down from the way you have it.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the underhood insulation you used? Didn't see a brand mentioned and I need to look into that for the dually.

I've been thinking about the garage door cowl seal. Glad to hear it works good. Just can't bring myself to spend $50 for a little 6' piece of rubber....