1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Betsy the Worktruck

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by Scotty4, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Scotty4

Scotty4 Registered User

IDIBRONCO likes this.
  2. saburai

saburai Supporting Member Supporting Member

Imho one of the things that it's not worth it to skimp on is quality gauges.

3. Scotty4

Scotty4 Registered User

I’ll be making a bracket for beneath the wheel and then getting some nice ones. What brand do you recommend?

saburai likes this.
  4. saburai

When I was doing VW and Porsche cars I primarily used VDO. In my current truck I have Auto Meter I'm pretty happy with them as far as the accuracy goes. However they tend to fog up a bit too much for what is supposed to be a quality gauge. I believe that isapro is also a high-quality gauge and I'm sure that there are some other quality manufacturers out there, however I only have experience with the ones listed above.

5. Scotty4

Scotty4 Registered User

@saburai I will look at getting some Isapro. Second time I’ve heard them mentioned today.(guy in the job site has them on his ‘97) Thanks!

saburai likes this.
  6. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

I believe agnem/Mel (conestoga diesel) is still a vendor for them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Scotty4 likes this.
  7. Scotty4

Scotty4 Registered User

Does this speedometer drive gear look okay? PO left me a parts box that I’ve been going through and found a new Red gear and Green drive gear. Seems a hassle to do the drive gear.

63AEA9EA-DAEE-446C-BDA9-618D203C72EB.png

8. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

Nope. It's bad. All of the teeth should be pointed looking like the top two. I can't remember if you said what transfer case you have. Mine are (the one in the truck and an extra in the garage) both BW1345's. I haven't been able to keep a drive gear in one no matter what I do. They only seem to last for 10,000-15,000 miles. A transmission shop that I actually trust told me that they did seem to have issues with this. It was suggested to run an extra 1/2 quart of ATF in the transfer case. I tried that the last time and it didn't help. I've seen others on here say that they haven't had any issues with the drive gears in their BW1345. I certainly won't call anyone who says this a liar, I can only give my experience. I finally gave up and started running a digital universal GPS fed speedometer. I have no idea on miles, but at least I can keep track of my speed.

saburai likes this.
  9. Scotty4

Scotty4 Registered User

Great news. Just got new tires and wanted to watch the 40k miles warranty. Guess if one blows out I never went anywhere!

I have a BW (T19??) 4 speed manual. Where would the 1345 # be at on the case?

chillman88 likes this.
  10. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

The 13-45 is cast into the back side of the transfer case. The numbers aren't very large so they may be hard to see if there's some crud build up on the back side of the transfer case. I want to say that it's in the area of the drain/fill plugs off slightly to the driver's side. Remember that my above post is only my experience and not gospel by any means.

11. Scotty4

Scotty4 Registered User

@IDIBRONCO maybe not gospel but when I bought the truck with new gears included, makes one wonder.

IDIBRONCO likes this.
  12. Scotty4

Scotty4 Registered User

Pulled heater blower today because I’m bothered by the rattling. Picking up a new one here shortly, this one has seen better days.

DBD93C07-3173-4724-8066-7F8A6ED45437.jpeg

13. Scotty4

Scotty4 Registered User

Installed new Crown Vic Blower tonight. Needed to use a Dremel to remove ~1/4” of material to match the OD. Used some self tapping screws and some glue on the gasket before installing. Plenty of dialectic grease on the plug and she now blows better than ever. P/N was PM9298 and was branded by VDO. Took about 20 minutes.

14. saburai

Is the Crown Vic unit a big upgrade? Curious as to why you just didn't do a new stock replacement.

dgr and Selahdoor like this.
  15. Scotty4

Scotty4 Registered User

The crown Vic one looks to have a better style bearing than stock and the larger fan seems to move more air from what I can tell.

Maybe a new stock replacement would be nice but with 20 minutes work this dropped right in. Was cheaper for this whole assembly than for the replacement stock, motorcraft motor.

Selahdoor and saburai like this.