Betsy the Worktruck

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leaf bushings weren't terrible. Axle pivot was a pain. Probably easier on the ground to have the axles collapsed. Getting these in then on to tie rods. Body mounts if im feeling froggy. Rear set later in the week

You must be registered for see images attach

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, alignment is set for tomorrow. I drove it back and forth in the shop and the camber settled nicely. Bit too much toe in on the drinker side but it should be close. Man was the axle pivot bushing for the pass side a pain. Tonight we did a few of the rear bushings but ran out of time.

Going to be mint!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bit too much toe in on the drinker side

Yeah that'll make it a bit tipsy LOL

Axle pivots were a nuisance but not terrible on my dually. I'm grateful for not having to fight with them on a 4x4! I'd expect a huge difference in handling. You're probably going to be all over the road now because you're USED to wiggling the wheel. I've done that a few times myself!

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that'll make it a bit tipsy LOL

Axle pivots were a nuisance but not terrible on my dually. I'm grateful for not having to fight with them on a 4x4! I'd expect a huge difference in handling. You're probably going to be all over the road now because you're USED to wiggling the wheel. I've done that a few times myself!
Just putting around the shop, it feels way tighter. No more steering play at low speed. We'll see if it still has play on the highway, might check the rag joint.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work, love the lift, full shop, 20 ton press etc. I thought that was a drill press at first, lol.

Let us know how the poly bushings treat you. I've heard it both ways of too much vibration or it's just fine.

No kidding on the pivot bushings...I did ONE in my driveway and it took me two years to get the gumption to tackle the other one! :joker: The only two tricks I learned is to semi-unbolt the axle from the spring so it's not under torsion anymore, and also to use a long bolt or allthread and washers to draw the new bushing in. With Poly it's probably not as hard to get them in though. But nothing makes it easy...just doable, ha!

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice work, love the lift, full shop, 20 ton press etc. I thought that was a drill press at first, lol.

Let us know how the poly bushings treat you. I've heard it both ways of too much vibration or it's just fine.

No kidding on the pivot bushings...I did ONE in my driveway and it took me two years to get the gumption to tackle the other one! :joker: The only two tricks I learned is to semi-unbolt the axle from the spring so it's not under torsion anymore, and also to use a long bolt or allthread and washers to draw the new bushing in. With Poly it's probably not as hard to get them in though. But nothing makes it easy...just doable, ha!
60 ton press! The way we got the front pivot was the floor jack (seen in pic) under the pumpkin and a pry bar on the end of the axle next to the bushing area. The rear required a pry bar above, on the side, and the leaf springs loose. Got there in the end.

Edit: The truck feels taller and rides a lot smoother. Of course, I did everything at once so cant point to bushings as helping ot worsening feel, but overall the ride down my pot hole laden road has improved.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just need to redo my ground, finish the cab wiring, and test. All add a fuses are gone. My maxi fuse hack job is gone. All fuse links are gone EXCEPT the blue one going to the FSS, figured that was safe.

Next up is trailer wiring and brake controller and getting that pass side battery box in.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Just need to redo my ground, finish the cab wiring, and test. All add a fuses are gone. My maxi fuse hack job is gone. All fuse links are gone EXCEPT the blue one going to the FSS, figured that was safe.

Next up is trailer wiring and brake controller and getting that pass side battery box in.

Just stop it now. I'm starting to feel jealous of the way that this looks.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to replacing the vacuum pump. After removing it yesterday, noticed the oil still leaking from below the fuel pumo so decided to replace that gasket while the VP was out. Pressure washed everything in the area and got to work. Bolts were pretty loose actually which is probably the problem.

Had to pull the schrader and crank until fuel shot out as I didn't have a helper, then cracked the lines. Then vac pump went in easy. Shes running great again. And I'll be dipped if the brakes work like they should now!

Thanks @chillman88 and @hacked89 for the help!