best way to do a coolant flush?

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there a thread somewhere about an easy way to do a coolant flush, or could someone explain?
i was thinking to disconnect the heater hose where it comes out of the block, and connect a garden hose to that and back flush clean water through the system (after draining the block) - then maybe it would exit the system back through the other end of that same heater hose i cut into to do this. I could keep doing this until the water looks clean.

Is this the right way to go about it or is there another way?
I also have some pumps laying around and a suction tank with a vacuum pump - perhaps i could use some of this stuff for the job? I saw in diesel power magazine one time a picture of mechanic pulling a vacuum on the cooling system and filling with coolant that way but i don't know if that works with our system.

thanks,
paul

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The heater hose method is a very good way. Just allow the hose from the passenger side head and cab heater to drain into a bucket. Put a loop in the hose that is higher than the engine. Feed the hose that goes to the water pump with a fresh supply of water, and run the engine until the water that comes out is clear. The thermostat will never open with a constant supply of cold water. You can drian the radiator and upper and lower hoses seperately before you begin, and flush them out. Backflushing has never impressed me as an activity that yeilds any results, but put a coolant filter in your system when you button it up and that will prevent ever needing to try it.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Backflushing has never impressed me as an activity that yeilds any results, but put a coolant filter in your system when you button it up and that will prevent ever needing to try it.

so do you mean that if you have a coolant filter you don't ever have to flush the system? Or is it that you just don't have to BACKflush?

thanks,
paul

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a coolant filter, any contaminants should be caught, so backflushing shouldn't be needed. You always have to flush out the old to replace with new regardless.