best water seperator fuel filter? online?

greythorn3

wheelordie.com
Reaction score
Ive been searching for a while tonight, and seems the Fleetguard # 3930618s is the right mount to order, but i cannot find them online to order them, anyone know where to get them online? i was also going to order that long filter with the seperator in it... anyone help?

Ray

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I here really good things about the Racor filters, I am in process of switching over to an electric pump and when I do I am going to put in another filter head and water separator, most likely a Racor 215 model.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regardless of whatever fuel-filter/seperator system is down-stream, I like to use a LUCAS glass-bowl water-seperator/sediment-bowl ahead of everything else.

With the LUCAS, I can see through the bowl and tell if there is water present, or if there is foreign matter inside the bowl.

All it costs me to take care of the situation is to drain the bowl, remove it, rinse it out, and re-install; no money is involved.:thumbsup:

For the same reason, I like the GoldenRod filter units.

One big PLUS with the GoldenRod is the filter screws to the housing seperate of the clear housing; the housing can be drained/removed and cleaned/rinsed, without having to replace the element itself.

On my personal truck, I have a GoldenRod, then a LUCAS, then a DE-BUG, then the lift-pump-protecting inline filter, then the main fuel-filter with integral drain valve.

My main three gripes with the various metal-cased filters are:

1. You can't inspect the element, without special filter-cutting tools, thus destroying the filter.

2. They have no reservoir for big clumps to accumulate, thus prematurely clogging and forcing replacement.

3. They are not SEE-THRU, so one cannot see what is going on in them.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"On my personal truck, I have a GoldenRod, then a LUCAS, then a DE-BUG, then the lift-pump-protecting inline filter, then the main fuel-filter with integral drain valve."

Do you have the filters mounted on the frame rail? Or where at?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the filters mounted on the frame rail? Or where at?

The GoldenRod is mounted in one of the tool-compartments.

The Lucas and De-Bug are mounted on an aluminum tread-plate/brite-plate box that conceals the plastic coolant jug under the hood; covering the coolant-jug gave me lots of real-estate for mounting other accessories, plus it looks a lot better.

The in-line filter is in the line that drops down to the engine-mounted lift-pump; I added some extra line so that I can see and service this filter when standing on the ground; it used to be way down in there, but after having all the blood run out my ears, trying to swap it, I decided on a better plan.

The main fuel-filter is engine-mounted; it is a solid-bottom with integral drain-valve; I dislike/distrust those open-bottomed filters that require one to swap the WIF-sensor from filter to filter.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the Lucas glass bowl is just a sediment and water sep? I'd probably be interested in getting one of those in place of my inline filter, since my pump already has an integral filter in it.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the Lucas glass bowl is just a sediment and water sep?

where can you purchase this stuff at? any online retailers?

Ray

The LUCAS can be had in a variety of configurations, both with and without a filter-cartridge.

The ones I have/use have no cartridge, just a water-seperator/sediment-bowl, with nothing to have to buy when servicing.

For years, many brands of farm-tractors and construction equipment came factory-original with LUCAS/CAV-DELPHI fuel-filtering systems.

The one I have looks like this, except with M-14x1.5 ports :

https://www.simpsonsupplies.co.uk/D...ARATORS/FUEL_SEPERATOR_1_2___20_UNF_1721.html

Here is a page full of complete units :

https://www.simpsonsupplies.co.uk/DIESEL_FUEL_PARTS/COMPLETE_FILTER_ASSEMBLIES/

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it...except shipping it from the UK. I may have to plumb that in place of my inline 30 micron filter.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it...except shipping it from the UK. I may have to plumb that in place of my inline 30 micron filter.

Maybe someone can find a link to a U.S. distributor.

Maybe have a look at Ferguson tractor parts, or some of the other makes, as these units are common on many farm tractors.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a couple racors with new filters cheap if anyone wants to pm me.