best sensor locations

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to add a temp sensor, oil pressure sensor and volt meter with corresponding gauges, i thought i would ask what the best locations for these sensors would be and why?

thanks in advance!

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has this perhaps been covered to death? if so anyone have a good link?

danke

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Temp in the ds head, in the over temp light hole, or the hole further back towards the firewall.
Those spots see the highest temps. IIRC.

Oil should be in the location of the factory switch. IMO, because it's at "the end of the line."

Recently someone here said the voltmeter should go directly to the battery. As your battery voltage is what's important.
If you do it under dash, you will be reading alternator voltage. IIRC.

No pyro?

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I am not sure what you mean by "pyro"

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, most would consider the pyro to be the first and most important gauge to add to any diesel engine from what I've seen, regardless of being turbo or NA.

Wood

Reaction score
Temp in the ds head, in the over temp light hole, or the hole further back towards the firewall.
Those spots see the highest temps. IIRC.

Oil should be in the location of the factory switch. IMO, because it's at "the end of the line."

Recently someone here said the voltmeter should go directly to the battery. As your battery voltage is what's important.
If you do it under dash, you will be reading alternator voltage. IIRC.

No pyro?

getting ready to do these gauges myself. you say the factory switch location for oil pressure. where might i find this? i have a banks and it looks like there is a oil pressure sensor on it? is this right?

yellow thing with the wire coming off.
You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Wood, that is correct.

You may get a lower reading there, but seeing turbo oil pressure is important also.
On my brothers 93 with the same Turbo, we just unscrewed that switch, then screwed the fitting right into it.
It will disable the factory gauge, but eh not like it actually worked right anyways.