Bent Frame

Giddy-Up

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned in a previous thread I've been collecting parts to build an IDI powered super cab mutt. The frame I bought is from a 94 4x4 which is rust and hole free, but unfortunately the driver side rail is pulled outward 3/4" behind the trans crossmember. It makes the frame about 1 1/2" out of square, which will mess with me when I build my bumpers which was supposed to be my winter project. Hopefully someone knows whether that kind of bend fixable or not, because the body shop is closed by the time I get off work. I forgot to take a picture before I set the cab on so I borrowed one of laserjocks.
You must be registered for see images attach

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its just a bend heat and water can be used to correct it. Or you can always use a winch and some chain to correct the bend. Ether will work just your preference.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do a winch and chain. Basically pull it back in line. See if it stays. My crewcab frame had a bend in the frame. We used a chain to hold it while we used the port a power to push it out. I think we also did some heat to help it stay.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
completely fixable
i would frame jig it,
or use a winch and a chain.
heat is your friend.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the bigger question is how does that happen? Are you sure that's all that's tweaked? To me, that seems like a really strange bend in the frame. I guess if it measures right and sets reasonably flat, you can shim your way out of most problems. If it's wracked too bad, you may have to pull on rail and push the other front to rear.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
That does seem like a really strange way to be bent.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Are all the cross members in the frame, and fastened in where they are supposed to be? A buddy of mine just did an auto to manual conversion on a 98 Cummins... (I know wrong brand, but) This truck drove into the shop, so it was 100% complete (Well minus what rust has taken over the last 17 years). They removed the auto transmission and the auto crossmember. Installed the manual, and when they went to install the manual crossmember, it wouldn't fit between the frame rails. They started measuring, and the crossmembers were the same length, so they started measuring the frame. They found where that crossmember should be placed, the frame had bowed out of shape. They had to porta-power the frame rails over an inch apart to get the manual crossmember to fit. After it was installed and fastened in properly, they measured everything again, and it was all back where it should be, and the frame was straight again...... Just want to make sure you are not chasing a problem that may just be a missing crossmember.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heat will weaken the frame and make it soft. That's why they frown on welding on them also.

They don't heat the frame when they stamp it out of a flat piece of metal. They stamp it cold. When they fold the metal around top and bottom, this work hardens the frame and makes it stronger. Also every hole they punch in the frame work hardens the frame around the hole and makes it stronger also.

That's why they used rivets for the crossmembers and brackets. Each time they beat and work the frame, it makes the metal stronger.

It's the same theory as taking a hammer and beating the body of a derby car all over. Most derby officials will not allow a car that has been hammered like that, it's a unfair advantage, it makes the body of the car much stronger and stiffer. That's why a derby driver will try and use a old derby car that is already beat up some from a previous derby, it will hold up better since it's already beat up.

Yes people weld on frames, especially on the older trucks. But its always gusseted and plated to help the strength factor.

Giddy-Up

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked and it's the only thing that I can find that is bent. Both rails are parallel with each other as far as height. All crossmembers are installed correctly, this was a complete truck that I had a yard strip for me. I know I can do it with heat and a porta power but that will thin the frame in that area so I would like to avoid that if possible. But it sounds like it should be fixable in a jig so I'll have to bring it to a shop come spring.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Honestly I would not worry about the frame being bent outwards. Install the cross rail with a couple of longer bolts are all thread till its pulled together where its supposed to be. Then install the correct length and grade bolts. Once the bolts are tight remove the longer bolts and install the correct length bolts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7