Bed rail do's and don'ts

HicksNthaStix

Reaction score
Hello all,
I need to build up some bed rails for my flat bed. I mainly haul firewood and logs on the bed. I'm thinking just a simple 2x8 would suffice. There are slots down the side of the bed for 2x4s, so it should be pretty simple. Just wanted to check to see if anyone had any cool ideas that I hadn't thought of before I throw these things together.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Oledirtypearl86 it depends on how hard you beat it. The 2x4's will be fine for a while but I always try to overbuild, Less likely to have interesting problems that way lol. C channel will bend if you overload it whereas a 2x4 will just snap. If I'm going to load up my truck, I'm not making two trips unless I have to lol!

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Sides I built for my gooseneck. 2’x16’ of 3/4 plywood. Studs for the uprights. Ran a 4’ 2x4 horizontal across the seam where the 2 2’x8’ pieces of plywood meet. Ratchet strap under the trailer, over the sides, and back under the trailer on the other side. Stops them from spreading (breaking uprights) and bouncing out at the same time. I built these with intentions of hauling gravel, mulch, fire wood, or helping people move. I have 1x12 pieces I can run front and rear to retain things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HicksNthaStix

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Sides I built for my gooseneck. 2’x16’ of 3/4 plywood. Studs for the uprights. Ran a 4’ 2x4 horizontal across the seam where the 2 2’x8’ pieces of plywood meet. Ratchet strap under the trailer, over the sides, and back under the trailer on the other side. Stops them from spreading (breaking uprights) and bouncing out at the same time. I built these with intentions of hauling gravel, mulch, fire wood, or helping people move. I have 1x12 pieces I can run front and rear to retain things.

Great ideas, that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I could see the use in something taller than a 1x8, thought if I went that route I would run ratchet straps across the top to keep the sides from pushing out. Who knows, I may make up a single rail and a full side.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great ideas, that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I could see the use in something taller than a 1x8, thought if I went that route I would run ratchet straps across the top to keep the sides from pushing out. Who knows, I may make up a single rail and a full side.
I can throw them on and get more pictures if you want. That was just from the night I was building them