Barn find update, and HHO generator

toby2tongues

Reaction score
some of you may remember my barn find from earlier in the summer...1984, DRW F250, Centurion, 8,400 orginal miles...I have gotten all the soft goods replaced, injectors replaced, fuel tanks replaced, etc., etc.

I made a trip last month from ohio to texas to virgina, back to ohio....3500 miles, 10 days, not a single problem...but only getting 13-14mpg. I know that can be a bit low, I feel that it is due to the DRW, and the 3.91 rear end...overdrive in this beast would be a great thing. (average speed, around 65mph)

I know there is a lot of debate as to the effectiveness of a HHO generator. I am not looking to start a debate, but to let folks know, I have ordered one, and I have another trip to texas for Thanksgiving.

I make a 2 hour round trip journey every Saturday morning that I will use to get the generator tuned out before the trip, then will of course use the trip to texas as the road test to see if this thing works or not...we will let the numbers speak for themselves. I am fully aware that under a perfect world scenario that the drag placed on the alternator is more than the energy that is produced by the HHO release, but my hopes are, that with the added HHO, it will help the 6.9 become more efficient, and improve the fuel economy. at worst, it will be a fun project, we will get a real answer to this question...and even it doesn't work, I can tease the hippies in a BS hybrid because I have a hydrogen powered dually that runs on water......they don't have to know the whole story ;-)

here is the kit that I ordered: http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/hydrogen-assist-kits/hydrogen-assist-kit-for-medium-engines

it is scheduled for delivery next Thursday, I should have it installed by Saturday (Nov. 7th) morning for the first test run.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Cool. I've read into hho a little bit, personally I don't have a opinion to either side.
But I am questioning your rear gears. 3.91?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Runningaford

Reaction score
I played with an HHO generator on an 86' 4x4 suburban. I had positive results, without the HHO I'd get an average of 13.5 mpg. With the HHO my average was 19 mpg.

Having that said, it was a pita maintaining the system. I didn't drive the truck that often, but ran it around 5,000 miles with the HHO system working.

The experience gave me a couple things for 'food for thought', one, is that there are real ways to increase mileage outside the norm; two, there's got to be one hell of an agenda to keep people under the thumb of subjugation, and control(obvious since it worked for me, but real information on such things is far, and few between, and basically swept under the rug).

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be interested to hear some unbiased real-world experience with a diesel.
I have done it on gas engines, and it works. But as someone mentioned, it's a
PITA to keep tuned for the load. And expensive to do properly (PWM, etc).
Keep us posted.

toby2tongues

Reaction score
Cool. I've read into hho a little bit, personally I don't have a opinion to either side.
But I am questioning your rear gears. 3.91?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

the last time that I had it up on a lift, I spun rear tire and counted the drive shaft revolutions...it was just under 4...I thought there was a 3.91 geared rear end that was put in these....if I am wrong, please correct me...as it said, I spun just under 4 revolutions....or was it just over....crap, now I am second guessing myself.

as I said, its an 84 F250 dually..centurian. I am open to suggestions.

as for the project, you are right about keeping the thing adjusted, that is the reason for the specific kit that I got with the controller. hopefully, having some in cab control will help with the situation. we shall see...very excited about it though.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It being a 84 I bet it's 3:54 gears.... I have a friend in Ohio who use to run 6.5 diesels. He had a 93 Chevy mini bus with the 6.5 with the hydrogen system and it gave him 3 more mpgs...

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the last time that I had it up on a lift, I spun rear tire and counted the drive shaft revolutions...it was just under 4...

Ahem...did you spin one tire or both?? If you spun one and the other side was stationary, that could be affecting results

FordGuy100

Reaction score
A 40% increase in FE is really hard to believe. I'm not calling anybody out, as I'm open to the idea, but that's a pretty crazy increase from something that doesn't really out out much gas in energy units. It must really help out the combustion process if this is the case, because it's certainly not from the added gas in terms of energy (BTU's, joules, etc)

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Indeed with these small setups there is not a huge amount of additional BTU of fuel going in. Color me skeptical. Maybe it does promote more complete combustion. Looking forward to hearing your results.

There is the fellow in the 70s who claimed nearly 100 MPG from a 60s Galaxie with a 390 IIRC. He made some sort of vapor carb that would more or less boil the fuel and run off the vapor rather than atomize the liquid. Interesting idea. Guy disappeared, either there's nothing to it or the oil companies offed him. I'd imagine something like that could run an engine, but would be difficult to maintain appropriate mixture. Probably lots of driveability issues, low power, etc. if it worked at all on a normal sized engine.