Banks turbo heatshield removal

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to remove the heat shield on my Banks sidewinder turbo. Is this going to cause any problems?

When the trans shop replaced my trans last year I guess they had to move the engine around a little bit. Sounds like a couple of bolts in the back broke, allowing the heat shield's bottom end to vibrate against the firewall.

It is driving me crazy...

Thanks,

Mike

SIKPUP

Reaction score
I just used a pry bar in between the turbo and firewall and bent it up a little bit, I had interferance there too, and it would vibrate. But I dimpled the heat sheild a little, but left it on.

Mike

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SIKPUP said:
I just used a pry bar in between the turbo and firewall and bent it up a little bit, I had interferance there too, and it would vibrate. But I dimpled the heat sheild a little, but left it on.

Mike

I went ahead and pulled the heat shield out. Definitely a lot of heat there... perhaps I can wrap the rubber tubes in that general area with some aluminized automotive heat wrap of some sort.

Removing the shield fixed the noise problem I was having... except for the off idle acceleration at 1200-1300 RPM. Ford did that when it was in the shop so I have no idea what they did... not gonna worry about it.

Not overly impressed with the heat shield's contruction. Tac welded a strip of aluminum at 3 points with another strip of aluminum 90 degrees on the side. Seems one piece would have been more secure--my noise was due to one of those welds failing, allowing the tag end of the main piece of the shield to rub on the firewall.

Mike

Last edited:

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Which shield are you talking about? I just had my tranny rebuilt & now have all kinds of noises & vibrations also. Mine seems to come from the tranny hump on the floor though. It seems more apparent in reverse & when braking to make a left turn. I think something is loose between the motor & tranny also. I have a terrible driveshaft hop under hard acceleration. I thought the carrier bearing was shot because there was a bunch of up & down play in the shafts. I can move the entire tranny, transfer case & Gearvedors by pushing on the shafts @ the carrier bearing. Replaced the carrier bearing with no change. They must really move some things around to get the tranny out?

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I have a drone that is transmission related, but this shield is the one that sits on top of the turbo between the blower and the firewall (and the rubber lines that run along the cowl).

Mike

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my shield broke long ago and Im used to the noise, you should see the look on my passengers faces when it starts making noise.
one day I will fix it, one day
javier

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you considered having the exhaust housing ceramic coated?
In theory, the better coatings will retain/reflect 33% of the heat. I sent the exhaust housing to these guys for the grey 2000™ coating.

Last edited:

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JPR said:
Have you considered having the exhaust housing ceramic coated?
In theory, the better coatings will retain/reflect 33% of the heat. I sent the exhaust housing to these guys for the grey 2000™ coating.

Hadn't really considered any coating... kinda gets pricey between the work and the shipping. Maybe Banks'll send me a replacement... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online