Banks Sidewinder wastegated rebuild?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Are rebuild kits and both wheels for the wastegated Banks setup available? Picked one up that needs a rebuild and don't want to pay the Banks sole supplier extortionate price for a complete turbo. Any options for rebuild or just the center section? Alternatively is there another turbo that will fit these hot side pipes and intake hat as a drop in or with minimal modification? Looking to weigh my options.

Last edited:

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Or, silly question... Dimensionally how do the early non-wastegate and late wastegated Banks turbos compare? Think I could use the non wastegated Banks turbo on the truck now with the new hot side pipes? I believe they're both a T3 flange. Would eat into resale of my slushbox setup but is something to consider if it drops in.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
SAd part is the wastegated sidewinder has no parts openly available for it. Even the maker Mitsubishi will ONLY sell you the part if you can supply them the factory part number. This info dates back several years when I purchased a drop in turbo from Banks to replace mine that had some hot side wheel damage. Of course they would not sell me nor send me to a shop that could sell me any oem parts. With typ3 help I got a recommendation to a shop 80 miles from me. The searched nearly 6 months for the shaft and hot side wheel... BTW those pieces are made as one piece. No chance buying them seperate either. Its how these are made. Now we can get a few different cold wheels too. But be absolutely sure you are buying only oem parts. There are some ebay sellers offering garage made dupes of the oem parts. Steer clear of them. Many have been found to be less that correctly made and from inferior materials My complete rebuild cost about 300 bucks and was 6 months in coming. So I have a spare wastegated sidewinder. No harm in spares is there???.:angel::angel::dunno:rolleyes::D:thumbsup:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can get some parts for it. Hotwheel is the hard part. I have found a cold wheel that fits with some machining.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Well that stinks, the turbine wheel is cooked on this. If that's not available anywhere except through Banks, I'll not be using this turbo. I like the hot side up pipe layout though. Relatively short as compared to early Banks and Hypermax, no loose connection slip joint issues like the ATS/Ford system. Unless I find a good used TE06H, I'll be looking for a dimensionally identical or substantially similar turbo to use. I will not pay the $1750 I've seen listed for a new TE06H when a few hundred in parts would do the trick and there are comparable or better turbos available for less money. I cannot morally and ethically support a company whose business model is to become sole source for a proprietary product and charge extortionate amounts for service and parts rather than putting the customer first.

In a search some results came up on FTE about using an S256 on the late Banks system but I didn't see that anybody actually tried it. Has anyone used or checked fitment of an S256 or any other turbo on the late Banks hot side plumbing?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You may have misunderstood mt comments about parts availibility. they are out there but knowing what you are purchasing is important. Aftermarket shafts and hot wheels may not be made from the same materials as oem. I understand the hot wheel and shaft are both Inconel material but have no way of proving this. Once again known what you are purchasing. You can buy complete center sections too but again.. Knowing who made it wil get you farther down the road of turbo life. Don't just throw in the towel and give up because parts are hard to find. Many replacement parts are offered on ebay all the time for these turbos but knowing who made them might be hard questions to get answers for.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot morally and ethically support a company whose business model is to become sole source for a proprietary product and charge extortionate amounts for service and parts rather than putting the customer first.

iv got the same issues with my salsco wood chipper over the years.many parts for it iv been able to find and once i do i list the co and the model number in my book for it.iv saved several hundred over the years doing this.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that stinks, the turbine wheel is cooked on this. If that's not available anywhere except through Banks, I'll not be using this turbo. I like the hot side up pipe layout though. Relatively short as compared to early Banks and Hypermax, no loose connection slip joint issues like the ATS/Ford system. Unless I find a good used TE06H, I'll be looking for a dimensionally identical or substantially similar turbo to use. I will not pay the $1750 I've seen listed for a new TE06H when a few hundred in parts would do the trick and there are comparable or better turbos available for less money. I cannot morally and ethically support a company whose business model is to become sole source for a proprietary product and charge extortionate amounts for service and parts rather than putting the customer first.

In a search some results came up on FTE about using an S256 on the late Banks system but I didn't see that anybody actually tried it. Has anyone used or checked fitment of an S256 or any other turbo on the late Banks hot side plumbing?

That is why I have researched out common parts that fit. And a standard te06h with the right AR and trim even will not fit. Not even close.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hx35 is the same inlet flange and down pipe could probably be adapted without too much work. I think the compressor housing would have clearance issues though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online