Banks Sidewinder and hood liner questions

Reaction score
Bit of a weird one, but I'm having issues with something somewhere rubbing on either the firewall or on the backside of the hood. It's driving me nuts! It has something to do with the air induction on the Banks Sidewinder kit, at least that's my guess because it only started doing it after I took apart the air inlet a couple of times for maintenance. No matter how many times I take it apart and try to re-adjust stuff, it keeps coming back. I've managed to quiet it down a bit by wrapping the AC hose with a bit of foam insulation (the same kind of stuff you use on pipes in your house), but that just kinda changed the tone rather than eliminate the noise. It's clear this hose is very close to the hood, though, because the new insulation is crushed flat on the upper part in a few spots.

I'm wondering if those with the Banks kit (or really any IDI turbo, I guess), have removed the liner from the under side of the hood and if that has caused any paint issues. I think getting it out of there would provide me with just a little more clearance to make everything happy, but if the heat from the turbo is going to affect the paint, I'll have to figure something else out.

Mike

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I too have a "noise" under certain load and rpms. Its mostly when I'm almost on no throttle at all. Just very slightly in enough to keep driving on flat ground around town. Nothing at high speeds either. I can't find the location either and its messing with me plenty. Even the wifey told me she hears it when she drives the rig. I have even changed the turbo out and its still there. I thought it was the turbo fans rubbing the housing but nope... Wasn't it...

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck makes an odd noise too. Kinda like a really loud hammering sound but only when Im at 4000 RPM on compression like rolling off a big hill...been doin it for quite a while now so I thought it might be somewhat odd...

John Deere

Reaction score
The problem I originally had was getting the downpipe so that it didn't send a growling resenation noise into the cab.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck makes an odd noise too. Kinda like a really loud hammering sound but only when Im at 4000 RPM on compression like rolling off a big hill...been doin it for quite a while now so I thought it might be somewhat odd...

i think i found your issue.;)

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I dunno...the hammering aound gets louder then the stereo will go when it rolls up to 4200 or 4300...I dunno what the issue could be...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.