Banks Question

Blk03PSD

Reaction score
I have noticed that no one seems to be running any Banks mods and I am curious as to why. They have a few products that I am interested in, the Power Elbow, larger turbin housing, new compressor wheel. I know they advertise on this site, but does anyone have an opinion on these mods?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a Banks wheel, been on a couple weeks.

Bought it mostly because my turbo needed a new one when I rebuilt it(old one was getting razor sharp on the edges....Ask GEONC, he knows first "hand":D how sharp it was-cuss ) so I figured I'd upgrade a hair while I was at it.

Seems like a bit less lag. don't know about surging because I havn't had the truck long enough to experience that.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Havn't had it under load except the 3500 lb pallet of Castle Wall block I put in it this week.

Turbo whistle seems much quieter than it was before I rebuilt it and deleted the EBPV but it could be due to a few things & I can't get any deeper than that. Did it because I needed a new wheel before the old one came apart and the Banks wheel was only about $80 from the same guy that I bought the kit from, he cleaned the turbine wheel & shaft, polished and balanced it for free;Sweet .

This is just a big car for me and will rarely be worked hard to it's potential while I own it. I just like diesel duallies for economy, power, the looks and the occasional stupid loads I put in the beds that my 1/ tons didn't like too well. This is my Hot Rod:D

Aaron SEIA

Reaction score
One reason

The stuff can all be bought without the Banks name for less money. The new comppressor wheel is called a Wicked Wheel, can be had on eBay for about $100. Not sure on the rest as I run an OBS, but I know there are a lot of things they sell that can be bought for less $$$ and it's the same product.
Aaron SEIA

BamaSixGun

Will Work 4 Chrome
Reaction score
I have noticed that no one seems to be running any Banks mods and I am curious as to why. They have a few products that I am interested in, the Power Elbow, larger turbin housing, new compressor wheel. I know they advertise on this site, but does anyone have an opinion on these mods?

i have some banks stuff and am very pleased with it. yes, there stuff is higher, but i liked the convience of getting it all in one shot.

i have the bigger IC, boost tubes, high ram-air intake manifold, dual 4" exhaust, and their new ram-air intake/filter kit, which BTW is the same price and the AFE Stage II, but the banks has an 8 layer media filter instead of 7.

i also have the 6gun, but recently went with an SCT tuner from Tadd at Elite diesel. much more power, and the tranny control is awesome. plus Tadd change some parameters around, stuff the 6gun cant do.

he locked my torque conv. in on decel and accel, my engine fan comes on 10* sooner, he made the tow/haul more aggressive, and he deleted the EGR valve.

if i had it to do all over again, i would still have bought the banks IC, boost tubes, high ram intake manifold, and the filter kit.

probably would have gone with the MBRP exhaust tho.

banks was the only way i knew to go, i started out with the mods with no one or forum to turn to at the time.

just do what you like. :thumbsup:

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I can't comment on the Bank's PSD stuff but I did install a complete Sidewinder kit on the IDI. Very easy to install & made a HUGE difference after a little warrenty voiding adjusting.

Maybe thats worth mentioning too, the Banks stuff is pretty good as it comes out of the box but there is alot more potential some of the pieces if you tinker with it some more. Ex: I adjusted the waste gate on the IDI which took me to 10psi boost from 7psi which is where Banks sets it. Made a big difference in SOTP testing. HOWEVER, if you mess with settings you will void any warrenty you have or had so think it over beforehand .

I would buy from them again.

Last edited:

blowinblack

Reaction score
I've had Banks on my last two trucks and won't go that route again, real problems with the order (wrong or faulty product) and the follow up from Banks was like pulling teeth. Never again. marginal product, over priced and poor customer service

justblowin'smoke

Reaction score
i was going to by there big hoss chip placed order online took so long for anyone to contact me that i drove over to hypermax paid less and got a three tune flash tuner when banks finally did contact me i told them to send the six gun instead which did something but wasn't worth the money i'm debating on getting rid of both and getting dp tuner
i built my exhaust, the power elbow from what i understand just gets rid of the warm up valve which can be done with some plugs and time

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
The "Wicked Wheel" was stock on all 94-early 99 7.3L Powerstrokes. Bank's is a marketing company that happens to sell some Diesel products. They flat out lie in some of their ads by saying they make more power than anyone else & like to think that they are the only ones who can tune a Diesel engine. My money will be spent elsewhere.
i was going to by there big hoss chip placed order online took so long for anyone to contact me that i drove over to hypermax paid less and got a three tune flash tuner when banks finally did contact me i told them to send the six gun instead which did something but wasn't worth the money i'm debating on getting rid of both and getting dp tuner
i built my exhaust, the power elbow from what i understand just gets rid of the warm up valve which can be done with some plugs and time
Sorry to hear that you had to go through all of that. Just call up Jody or Diane at DP Tuner, they have some of the best customer service around. I've helped put the new F5 chip on a few trucks & it is a night & day diffrence!

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Wait, so was the wheel on the 94-97 better than the late 99 on up?

That's really open to debate, the 99+ wheel will move more air than the WW but will also surge badly in some trucks. I've driven some that are bad through all the gears & others you'll only notice going into overdrive. The WW won't tend to surge unless your really throwing some power at it. At that point though you should be looking at a diffrent turbo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online