banks big head

dmax04

Reaction score
I was looking for a way to increase power of my 04 chevy lb7 duramax without resorting to computer mods, and was wondering if anyone has had experience with the big head. Is it worth the money? How is the seat of the pants feeling? My current mods are a strait pipe and a k&n intake kit. thanks in advance for the replys.

Max Power

Reaction score
While I don't have any personally experience with it, I recommend a box like the Edge juice before the banks big head. Why do want to stay away from computer mods?

I don't think you'll see a huge improvement from just changing the Banks big head.

dmax04

Reaction score
Im just one of those overly paranoid people that dosen't want to add fuel. I know that computers add an extreme amount of power.

Max Power

Reaction score
Well with most of the boxes you aren't raising the fuel pressure you are just increasing the pulse width. There is really nothing to be afraid of with an edge juice or similar tried and tested box. As long as you want your EGT's you can't really go wrong. You will not get any significant increase in power without adding more fuel.

Do you have an LLY or LB7?

dmax04

Reaction score
I have an Lb7. How does increasing the pulse width add power? Not being a smart a** just curious. I've been thinking really hard about getting a juice module. I have a boost and pyro gauge installed, So I dont really want to get the attitude monitor, how would I adjust my settings? Thanks again for the replies.

HeartbeatHauler

Reaction score
dmax04 said:
I have an Lb7. How does increasing the pulse width add power? Not being a smart a** just curious. I've been thinking really hard about getting a juice module. I have a boost and pyro gauge installed, So I dont really want to get the attitude monitor, how would I adjust my settings? Thanks again for the replies.

I believe he is refferring to the amount of time the injector remains activated. This allows more fuel in without raising the fuel rail pressure. I have the Banks Big Head, but it was part of a package....TLC Kit...and came with the Otto Mind, 4" exhaust, guages and BH waste gate (Already had the intake). I have noticed a big difference, but it's mostly when towing. I take my 5ver to W.V. and there are some purty good hills on the way to Morgantown and the truck rarely shifts out of OverDrive. I'm pretty passive around town although I do stretch it's legs now and then with good throttle response. The whole package is good for 70hp and 140 ft lbs, but you can adjust the BH waste gate for more boost but I don't think that would be the BEST use of the BH. A good tuner is gonna be money better spent...they really didn't have these tuners when I got my package. Also, the BH has a port for a boost guage which was real convenient.
JP

MCummings

Reaction score
The big head will not increase power over stock, without a computer mod. IT will not help spoo-up, it will not help overall, or peak boost.

The Factory WG is more than good enough for even 100HP over stock.

Merrick

HeartbeatHauler

Reaction score
MCummings said:
The big head will not increase power over stock, without a computer mod. IT will not help spoo-up, it will not help overall, or peak boost.

The Factory WG is more than good enough for even 100HP over stock.

Merrick
duramax man said:
wasgate is great for big hp programs, but low or stock hp you will se no gain
I would say this is correct in that you may not notice any gains by adding the Big Head Wastegate, but I believe that GM ain't all that good when it comes to variations in their stock parts. So, I think that with a BH you insure you are getting ALL of the boost your stock computer needs for peak performance. But, like I said in my earlier post a Tuner is the way to go Bang for Buck.
JP