Balancing tires - question for those who know

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
So when you balance tires, would it not make sense to do it at full pressure?

I had a Discount Tire balance the winters for my wagon before installing them and it would seem that they balanced them at 20psi...

***?

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
always balance at running pressure, as the tire is at the size it will be when running down the road.( as per the COATS setup guy that dropped off our new balancer)

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guy that balances mine does something else that no one else does. Instead of just stacking on the weights he will move the tire on the rim until he gets it close. He won't put more than an ounce of weight on a wheel. I have never had anyone that good and he only charges $20 for a mount and balance. I have to go 60 miles to get to him but its worth it.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
The wheels are 3 piece Audi 16" rims - the heaviest damn rims you've ever seen. One of them had 8 of those stick ons that go on the inside of mags, I think they're .5 ounce.

7bicks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes they should be at full pressure, when they are low the air settles to the bottom and can cause an out of balance situation. Very hard to get right on balance machine with the dense air sloshing around.

I don't see why a person would not just fill a tire up while on the changing machine, but at 20 pis the tire is as large as it is going to get so it really makes no difference. Even at 10 psi it will still be the same.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes they should be at full pressure, when they are low the air settles to the bottom and can cause an out of balance situation. Very hard to get right on balance machine with the dense air sloshing around.

I like that one:rotflmao;Sweet:sly

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so wait....does that mean when I rotate the air in my tires i should rebalance them? or does the air stay balanced when moving from one tire to another?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I would think that with the tire at full pressure it would force the rubber and belts to take the shapes that they would under use, obviously if you move the weight farther from the rim the centrifugal forces will change etc. causing a change in balance I would think.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having worked in a tire shop, I can tell you that a flat tire will balance the same as a full one. The mass of the rubber does not change, just the distance from the center does. Granted, it may be more sensitive to minor variations, but when you are only able to balance within .25 oz anyway, it's not going to matter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner