back pressure?

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do our trucks require a certain amount of back pressure? always heard with diesel it doesn't matter... i only ask because i have noticed since i just have the 3" down pipe and no exhaust, and still have not put the air box back on it seems my engine turns over more times prior to starting.. so it just makes me ask the question..

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I'm aware , and always been told, the better it breaths , the better it is . Much like a person , you wouldn't want anything restricting your breathing , right? So, no , they don't require any back pressure , just open her up and let her breath

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Backpressure is never good for any engine. You want to eliminate backpressure and maintain velocity, hence certain size of pipes are appropriate for particular engine builds. I'm under the impression that with a turbo it matters much less after the turbo, you just want to avoid restrictions that cause backpressure. Before the turbo velocity should be maintained with appropriate size pipe, smooth bends, and coating or wrap to retain heat (volume, velocity).

If 3" after the turbo is adequate, then my guess is 6" won't hurt it (but also won't help). What I don't understand is why many guys go from a 3" DP to a 5" or larger exhaust with even larger tip. I could see maybe 3" mandrel bent DP to a 3.5" regular bend pipe since the diameter will be a bit smaller on bends, but what does 5" or larger gain? Just seems like it would be a pain to work with and take up a bunch of unnecessary space I'd rather use for other things. Maybe there's a logical reason for it, but my supposition is that it's the diesel equivalent of fart cans.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NO COPD Let er breath as much as possible. Anything over a 3" exhaust is a waste of money. Unless ya want 5" stacks to make it look like a cho cho train smoking. LOL

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was thinking backpressure wasn't needed... but i really think it takes my truck several more engine rotations before it starts...oh well... i plan on running a 4" exhaust if not a 5" soon as i order one.. preference i guess...

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Backpressure is never good for any engine. You want to eliminate backpressure and maintain velocity, hence certain size of pipes are appropriate for particular engine builds. I'm under the impression that with a turbo it matters much less after the turbo, you just want to avoid restrictions that cause backpressure. Before the turbo velocity should be maintained with appropriate size pipe, smooth bends, and coating or wrap to retain heat (volume, velocity).

If 3" after the turbo is adequate, then my guess is 6" won't hurt it (but also won't help). What I don't understand is why many guys go from a 3" DP to a 5" or larger exhaust with even larger tip. I could see maybe 3" mandrel bent DP to a 3.5" regular bend pipe since the diameter will be a bit smaller on bends, but what does 5" or larger gain? Just seems like it would be a pain to work with and take up a bunch of unnecessary space I'd rather use for other things. Maybe there's a logical reason for it, but my supposition is that it's the diesel equivalent of fart cans.

Well said!

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a turbo, the turbo is the back pressure. You want none after the turbo, as that will just build up heat where you don't want it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Getting the air in and out as fast as we can makes our engine run better. But anything more than 4 inch is not going to do any more for the exhaust. We can actually remove our intake and run just fine but we can't filter the air going in. nothing but air is sucked thru the intake manifold. the fuel is injected into the cylinders thru the precups. Running a straight pipe exhaust with no muffler will work great but you need a turbo on the engine. the turbo chops up the sound of the exhaust so its not loud. It can start to sound off when it pulling a grade but what engine wont sound off pulling a grade or a load..

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks... i was just wondering, i personally don't think my truck is loud at all with just running straight off the down pipe.. hell i may not even put the exhaust on for a while.. my truck puts out very little smoke so don't see much issue for needing an exhaust after this reading..

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was thinking backpressure wasn't needed... but i really think it takes my truck several more engine rotations before it starts...oh well... i plan on running a 4" exhaust if not a 5" soon as i order one.. preference i guess...
has no effect on your extra cranking time. You got something else causing that.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will do some checking, but starter is only 2 weeks old, batteries are good... started right up the day i started the work, and now seems to take just a tad longer.. and only thing different is the bigger d/p, no exhaust, and still have to put air box back on.. although i plan on trying to make a cool air intake to eliminate all the bulk... its no big deal as it still starts.. but again i will do a little checking make sure i didn't inadvertantly shift something while laying all cozy like across the engine to reach the d/p..