B model Mack questions

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A thought came to my head the other day about buying an old B model and restoring it. My ideal truck would be a single axle tractor with the diesel and twin stick. What would a truck like that go for? Can you get parts for these old beasts still? If the engine/trans/rear is good how much would it cost to get it looking good. I wouldnt buy one if anything is bad in the drivetrain because i dont want to put that much money into it.
Thanks
Chris

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Track down Larry (Freightrain) he would have every answer for you. He drives a B model to tow his race car.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
They're getting pricey if they know what it is...if you know what I mean. Guys that look hard find them cheap..then sell them dear to the guys that want them.

A low down on mine. Short single axle, 673 non turbo, 15 sp Triplex, 4.62 gears. I paid $4k for it, but all the stuff I got with it sold off for $1500, so I had 2500 in it at the end. It was a good running truck, just need TLC. I have probably around $8k in it now, but $2k is new radial tires/rims. You can get just about anything for them new, nos, or rebuilt. Motor/tranny stuff is everywhere, chrome stuff is new, repop, nos. The only thing you can't get nice is a used cab. They are used up,unless you find a truck sitting in a barn for 40 yrs! There are a few Mack dealers online that are specializing in parts for B models. Watts Mack in PA is one(I use them). Barry is working hard at keeping new stuff coming for them all the time.

If you want to get involved in old trucks, check out ATHS (am. truck hist. soc.) on line ATHS.org. I'm a member of a couple local chapters in Ohio and it's a great way to find a specific truck.

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck you have is pretty much what im looking for. What trans options do they have for these? Are they all twin stick? I dont know too much about the older macks yet. Are they good running engines? Im not looking to pull any trailers with it i just want to restore it and drive it. Maybe get a nice older trailer to pull around some light stuff but nothing heavy. Can you run on the highway with that gearing, like 60-65 mph?
Thanks
Chris

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
My truck/trailer combo is 26K lbs. It runs it around fairly easy(for 170 hp). It can run 65 empty/downhill, but 60-62 with trailer. I've been from Syracuse, to Indy, to BG, KY with it so I'm not afraid to take it far away. It gets around 8-9 mpg with the pedal to the metal all day with trailer.

The old 673 is pretty reliable, you can get a turbo version with 210 hp. There was also a 711 ci version later. Basically a bored out 673ci. It's the same basic motor up thru the 2valve 300 hp motor. You can shoehorn the newer stuff in there, but with intercoolers and such it gets tight. If you get the big hood model(like a B73 or such) then you have the larger radiator shell and more room for motor. There is quite a selection of versions to select from. My truck has unknown mileage, but I haven't had to add oil to it all between changes. I put a few thousand miles on it yearly.

As for tranny, they did offer a single stick 10 spd(had a splitter lever on handle instead of another stick). Called a Unishift. Most any others will be twin stick unless someone swapped in something else(like some have that can't drive a twin stick).
They had 5 spd(usually only in fire engine or gasser trucks), 10 spd, 15 and 20 spd twin stick trucks. Usually you won't find too many that have highway gearing out back. These trucks weren't meant to go that fast from factory(45 was speed limit back then). When I was looking for a truck that was one of the things I wanted. 65 mph, maxi brakes, front brakes. Alot of these trucks had only mech parking brake(which sucks) and no front brakes(which also sucks with no trailer and wet roads). Most anything you could put on, but I didn't have the room initially to do alot of heavy work. They had single over and double over tranny's also, so that plays into road speed. Mine is single over, and runs 65. There is website that tells all about mack tranny's back then. Have you seen my little driving video? It's posted here(plus a couple other sites).

I did the king pins(cheap and easy by the way), rebuild air comp, put 12v start on it, brake chambers,lines, etc. Lots of little maintenance stuff. You can get most anything you need still since the motor was used up thru the 80's.

Lots of information on web, it's really helped me, plus clubs to join. The internet is a good thing(most times). Heck, if I could, I'd sell you mine and get my long hood KW that I want> But zoning won't allow that sitt'n outside so I have to stay happy with my little B!

Last edited:

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. Like I said im not looking to pull anything too heavy. 8-9 MPG is good with a trailer. I could get a little flatbed trailer and bring everyones dirtbikes when we go riding. I saw your video, it looks like that thing shifts pretty good. Im sure its the driver as much or more than the truck though. Now what are the gear patterns. The closest stick is the 5 speed and the farther one is the 3-4 speed? Ive never driven anything with twin stick yet. Plenty of single stick trucks though.

A little off topic but my first expeariance with kingpins sucked. Took a day to get the nut off it was stuck so bad. We had the torque multiplyer on it we had the 1 inch gun on it we heated it up with torches used 2 cans or more of pb blaster and still nothing. We ended up using like a 10 foot pipe on a breaker bar to get it off.

Im not looking to spend much. Id rather buy something that needs quite a bit of work for cheaper then spend a lot on a truck. I would have more fun rebuilding it than anything. I just have to find a truck now. If anybody knows of any trucks in the north Jersey area please tell me.
Thanks
Chris

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just found a truck out close to ohio in PA on ebay. I got exited when i saw the price and PA but its on the ohio side not the jersey side. Where is a good place to look? Are there any sites online that have a lot of older tractors and trucks?
Thanks
Chris

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
It took longer to get the tools out then do the pins in my truck. Three hours to completely strip front end(that includes getting tools, jacking up, pulling apart). Unscrewed plug on bottom, smacked on top with hammer and it fell out. Mack uses tapered pins so they come out pretty easy. I worked for days on my old F100 pickup!! Straight pins are impossible to get out after 35 yrs.

There is a fellow in Jersey area(High Point garage-- http://www.highpointgarageinc.com/ ) that deals alot in B model stuff. Steve Avello is his name. He buys/sells them constantly. Another is Oldmacks.com, Dennis Meehan buys/sells trucks and usually has some stuff around. They usually will want more money since they found it cheap and are looking to make a buck on it. It's hard to find one just the way you want it. Either totally restored, or hacked up, or really rough. I was lucky finding mine. Right place/right time really helps.

My tranny(triplex) has main on right, compound on left(nearest driver). Duplex(10 spd) is the other way around. Why the difference? not sure why. Once you get the hang of driving them, it's pretty easy to two hand it. It takes some finesse, but it's second nature after awhile.

Last edited:

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Wow..that's a real project truck! Never know, but the price is a bit steep for what's sitting there. I didn't have much more in mine and it was a good running truck and alot better condition. That's the thing...the seller see's it as a gem, but it's not worth that kind of money in that condition. Most guys in this game, pay $500 for things like that. To each his own, just be prepared to have a real project on your hands.

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to look. I was at a shop last week and he had a couple B models around the shop. I dont know if he would sell any though. I didnt really get a good look at em. Everything ive found is too far away.

The truck that we had trouble with the king pins was a Mack RD tandem dump mid to late 90's.

Thanks for all the replys.
Chris

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chris88 said:
I have to look. I was at a shop last week and he had a couple B models around the shop. I dont know if he would sell any though. I didnt really get a good look at em. Everything ive found is too far away.

The truck that we had trouble with the king pins was a Mack RD tandem dump mid to late 90's.

Thanks for all the replys.
Chris

Chris,

There's a place very close to both of us that has acres & acres of old Macks. PM me and I'll give you the particulars.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Duke...are you hold'n out on me? :draw

Wish I had room for more toys.....

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why I didn't tell you. LOL

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Oh well. I can't have anymore anyway........stupid freak'n township!!!

I'm think'n maybe a D8 with a BIG blade to just kinda let them know that I should be allowed to do as I please? Just something subtle........