Axle "Wrap"

tractorman86

Reaction score
so that is all there is to it, it just has to be parallel with the driveshaft? i think i am going to make mine in a latter bar style also

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well geez, if its that easy to make them, I might as well go for it then.

We need some more detailed pics :D. How long should we make them, where to attach both ends, what thickness (I suppose 1/8" is to small), all of that good stuff. Seems like a good idea to do, cause my truck wheel hops real, real bad.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you have to be parellel to the driveshaft? The driveshaft telescopes behind the carrier bearing. From a geometry standpoint the shorter the bars the worse it will bind as you compress the rear springs, I would think the longer the better. As the rear axle travels up the bars are trying to push it further to the back of the truck, the shorter the bars the more this would happen.

I've been planning on making some for a while but have never got around to it. I saw a design once that kept the bars from interfering with articulation. It was a triangular seup as previously mentioned, two bars going into one at the front, the bars when to the top and bottom of the axle in the back and came together to one heim joint in the front, however that heim joint was bolted to a lever that could swing forward and backward like a shackle on a leaf spring(but mounted upside down on the side of the frame) meaning that as the rear springs were loaded it would just swing forward a bit but when you stomped it the front of the bar could not move up and down so no axle wrap. I think all the bending of bars is due to too much binding. Does this sound right or am I off base here? Sounds like a problem from my statics class lol.

I realy don't know what I'm talking about as I have never done it but that is how it looks to me.

My question is how do you guys weld brackets to the axle? Do you drain the diff oil? I would think you could start a fire.

-Rob

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That axle tube is very thick, not much o2 in there either.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the length of the bars be close to the same as the distance from the spring perch to the front spring shackle?