Axle "Wrap"

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I've heard some people talking about axle wrap and installing an "anti-wrap" bar on the rear axle if the blocks are taller than stock. My blocks on the rear are about 5" tall and I'm curious what I need to do to help keep the rear end from "flopping out". :dunno I just watched a video on YouTube of this happening and I don't want it to happen to me. I try not to "romp" on it right out of an intersection, but sometimes the Honda next to me needs to be put in it's place... :D
"There's no replacement for displacement"

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Get a friend and have him watch while you are gassing it and on the brakes. ...Make sure nothing is in front of you.

If your friend can see your axle twist, then yeah, you should consider some anti-wrap solution. With 5" blocks, you likely have some wrap on hard starts but how bad is the question.

There are several different approaches to anti-wrap bars. One complaint with poorly designed anti-wrap bars will be losing articulation but that can be avoided with the right design. You are in for some fabrication. Can you weld? For some design ideas, search the topic on Pirate4x4 (another forum) lotsa good ideas there if you are willing to sift through some jackassery.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All these truck do it, a lifted truck just makes it worse. I built my own traction bars out of .120 wall DOM tubing and 3/4" helm joints on each end.
It rides a whole lot different now and the wheel hop is gone:peelout

Attachments

• tracbar.jpg
    tracbar.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 38
  • tracbar2.jpg
    tracbar2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 54
  • tracbar3.jpg
    tracbar3.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 51

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
All these truck do it, a lifted truck just makes it worse. I built my own traction bars out of .120 wall DOM tubing and 3/4" helm joints on each end.

Those things are the cats ass Steve!;Sweet

Rancho used to make those things bout 10 years back. Had a set of em on a V-8 Ranger that liked to deliver the mail.
That truck hooked so good with em, I was flexing the paint off the frame rails.:eek:

I'd love to get a set of em for Goldie.;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

Do those things help cut down on the hop when taking off with that 5er hitched up

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I would go at least .250 wall on the thickness, 1/8 is too thin... you will eventually bend those, ask me how I know:D

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
there are a bunch of kits out there if you want to buy a set. If you want to make them, be sure to keep thm inline w your driveshaft . Other wise you will have bind

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
With my CC F350 I used to feel a lot of windup when starting out with a heavy load on the trailer. I always wanted to make some ladder bars to help control the torque.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do those things help cut down on the hop when taking off with that 5er hitched up

Yes, its like a different truck now. As far as bending them, I was concerned about this too but the shop I bought the parts from said they have guys using there tubing on race cars and in truck pulling with out issuse. If I ever feel the need to reinforce them I can run a second bar from the top of the axle tube into the first bar like a triangle.
I had $160 in parts, had the 1/4 flat steel already. I got everything in a 4-link kit from QSC components in Muncie IN. and I have 4 Helm joints left over for the next truck.

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, its like a different truck now. As far as bending them, I was concerned about this too but the shop I bought the parts from said they have guys using there tubing on race cars and in truck pulling with out issuse. If I ever feel the need to reinforce them I can run a second bar from the top of the axle tube into the first bar like a triangle.
I had $160 in parts, had the 1/4 flat steel already. I got everything in a 4-link kit from QSC components in Muncie IN. and I have 4 Helm joints left over for the next truck.

I bought my hiems, tube adapters, and tube from the same place, and brackets and link tabs from ballistic fab. I went with 1/8 wall thinkin it would be fine. 500 miles later they are bent to hell.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
A guy I know has done this type of stuff on drag cars and said he'll help me to fab up a set and install them. I can't wait... It'll either :peelout with no wheel hop or :fan: ... j/k :D

zpd307

Reaction score
my big crew cab wraps real bad in 4x4 in deeper snow and mud. this a to do list project.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck doesn't have any lift blocks and it has a broken rear leaf in the middle of the stack. It dragged a 5th wheel camper trailer all over north america in a previous life. I think this might be a good idea for lower trucks that move a lot of weight as well as some one with tall blocks.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my hiems, tube adapters, and tube from the same place, and brackets and link tabs from ballistic fab. I went with 1/8 wall thinkin it would be fine. 500 miles later they are bent to hell.

I think your lift and tires put more strain on them than mine due to the angles. Maybe I will go with a thicker tube on the next truck since it will be lifted. At least maybe make a ladder bar type setup.

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '91 wraps real bad in 1st gear with the 5ver hooked up. Could not use more than 3/4 throttle while loaded with out bad wrap shudder. The '06 does not seem to do it.