Axle wrap

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Continued to chase vibrations felt while cruising between 2-2800 rpms in 5th gear I still have the problem.
Last night while struggling for hints I noticed that I could turn the driveshaft and when the load is set on the rear punkin, I could see that the rear axle is showing signs of axle wrap.:confused:
Wondering if this could be a possible culprit.
Reason asked?

While cruising, the vibration is being transfered to the exhaust and is causing it to rub and shake up against the firewall (down pipe in particular) and the door panels are rattling pretty good(hence lounder stereo install:rolleyes: ).

I can't feel any abnormal vibrations on the t-case and transmission shifters nor anything in the steering wheel.

Heck, I didn't even feel that the left front tire lugnuts were loose.:eek: ( having troubles keeping em tight on both trucks:puke: )

I have changed 2 u-joints that were bad and have cleaned the crud off the insides of the dually wheels.

I am in need of new shocks but the scratch for them is on the low priority list according to the bank of Karen.

The tires have been checked for balance when I was having flat tire issues last month.

I'm running out of places to look.

Anyone have an outside thinking of what might be going on?:confused:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good reason to visit a Dyno to me.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
you might want to take a look at your spring perchas and springs, the u-joints in vehicles are made to run at specific angles. if it is a solid drive shaft the angle on the output yoke should be within a dagree of the axle yoke for things to operate right if i remember correctly. not sure what it would be with the carriar bearing. make sure your u-bolts are tight and your spring perches are solid.

checking the truck jacked up is a good idea but it might not show much without a load. if it is a u-joint problem it will cause the most vibration when the axle is turning its fastest like going down the highway and will accelorate wear on the u-joint and the pinion bearings. is the pinion tight? Randy's ring and pinion website is a nice place to poke for some valuable driveshaft info.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Sounds like a good reason to visit a Dyno to me.

Horsepower results????:love:
Wished I had one closeby.
I'm gonna get it propped up tomorrow, as it's gonna get up to 65 degrees and is my short day.
The vibration is consistant with or without a load and the trans in neutral at those rpm ranges.

The u-bolts were checked and are tight (thinking weakened springs).

Jacking it up tomorrow, I'm gonna look at revolutions with the tires on and off to rule out the tires or axle faceplates.

I had a new driveshaft built last year but have replaced the ujoint behind the t-case, and carrier bearing (both found bad already).
The pinion nut is still tight from the last excursion finding it loose (locktighted and retorqued to 160ftlbs).

There is some slop noticed when trying to put the ring and pinion under load even on flat ground turning the driveshaft by hand so that also could be an issue (possible pinion wear).:confused:

The wierd thing is, I really didn't notice this before the extreme makeover.

subway

Reaction score
you said you got a new drive shaft was that balanced correctly? even if it was could one of its weights flown off? if your pinion rode loose for any length of time it can greatly accelorate the gear wear. how are the tranny mounts? that could knock out the angles......cant think of much else, keep us posted on what you find.

i like the dyno idea, run till she blows then make it stronger:D

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Well here is what my local Ford parts buddy and I have determined this morning.
Bad carrier bearings causing loose pinion nut, brakes adjusting on their own and the mystery vibration.

I have my ole 85 that looks to have a 10.25 in it and am gonna swap out the goodies today.;Sweet
Wish me luck, I'm getting oily.:D

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Well that was quick!

I pulled the cover and saw bad news.......
Spider gears worn to a bright purdy polished finish and loose.
Left axle shaft has plenty of play and when rotating the left set of duals, I am seeing plenty of slop there......:mad:

Diagnosis????????

Rear end.........JUNK!:puke: :puke:

It's at the point of going from posi to bucket of metal.:eek:

And was a 4:10 open axle..........
Anyone got a spare one flaoting around?

I'd pull the one off the Beef but then she would be condemned to a parts truck for sure and is not an option cause this winter she gets the makeover start.:love:

subway

Reaction score
ooouuuccchhh, sorry to hear that. at least you know what it is so you can attack it now.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Bummer Ron, I will keep an eye out for one around here. I have that Dump truck but the rear end is different in a cab and chassie so it wont work on yours. At At least you can get one from a dually or non dually.

Later,

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron, I do happen to have a 4.10 available in a 10.25 SRW if that would help you.