Auxilliary trans

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of popping an auxilliary trans in my f350 up in the IDI forum here . If anyone down here in the big toy section has any input on these things, please feel free to chime in. Info on the web is pretty slim for those critters.

Thanks-----Robert

colotow

I refuse to grow up
Reaction score
gear vendors? too many gears, you'll be rowing instead of driving.

if it's a 4x2, should be pretty easy and cheaper than anything else.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Gear vendors is alright for just using OD, but if you like to shift it yourself, then a regular brownie box will do. Finding one will be the trick, especially a small one to fit your needs. I know they are out there, best bet is to start calling big truck yards in your area and see what they can find.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of digging and there's lots of used and rebuilt units out there and price isn't bad, especially when compared to what a gear vendors runs. And I'm not all that thrilled about the idea of a GV. I'm very familiar with the units, before getting too crippled up and retiring, I fixed European cars and have played with Laycock OD units, and i know how easy it is to screw them up if not driven correctly....and my wife is gifted, she can break ANYTHING ( she admits it, she says we were a match made in heaven, she can break anything and I can fix it :D
If she can tear up a brownie with as little weight as we'll be pulling, they'll have to give her some kind or award ( I'm not too worried about it, she drove a freightliner with me for a while and she did better with that thing than she does with the pickup )

I've run 2 sticks on big trucks way back when , not a problem, but i am kind of leaning toward a 4 speed air-matic so I can keep it all on one stick and not make wife.gov seek therapy. I've driven the air-matic boxes before and they're pretty nice. Trickiest part is finding one with gear ratios that will best match the zf5, which is turning out a bit of a chore. At least by the time I get through with this, we'll all have a nicely laid out reference sheet with all the different ratios figured out. I'm going through and figuring out all the combinations with the different brownie boxes and a zf5 with 3.08, 3.55, 3.73, and 4.10 rears

So far I've only come up with a couple of combinations that would work without having to row all over the place, I'd like to be able to match it up to where I can leave the stick put and run the air switch as much as possible when real heavy in a tight spot, but the gear splits on the zf5 aren't the best matched for it . If I didn't want the OD so much it would be easier done, but i do want a tall OD for running empty. It'll probably take me another week or so to do all the calculations, I lucked out and bought an old brochure off Ebay with oodles of specs on it.

--------Robert

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
A cheaper way to do it is to use a Borg warner T-96, Unbolt the bell housing , if it has one and adapt yokes to the in/out splined shafts. Mount it and use extended linkages and enjoy your new 15 forward gears and 5 reverse gears.!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Hey is ther any updates on this

I bought myself a Spicer 5831B complete with the shifter. Took it apart and re sealed it and have it strapped to the tranny jack with a nice fresh coat of paint right now waiting for some time to put it in. I almost had the thing mounted, but I had to quick put the truck back together to go retrieve a trailer in Michigan. Actually, it worked out for the better, because the tubing bender that I had ordered from Harbor freight to rig up the shift linkages and the shifter that was supposed to be there in a few days, wound up getting back ordered and isn't going to be here till mid January, so I would have been out of luck anyway.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
wow wicked, make sure you take pics, i been thinking allot about a splitter. I have an old BW (i think) 3 speed colum shift out of an old IH that would work wonderfully if i can get a yoke put on the input shaft. Have to talk with a machinist about that,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online

No members online now.