ats turbo?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Watch the market place forum we have here. Or continue checking ebat and craigs list... They come up all the time..

Reaction score
I think typ4 has one that he might part with and it is the ats 093 wastegated the other ats is a 088 and it is not wastegated. Either one is a good turbo it just depends on what your going to do with it.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
talk to racinNdrummin over on FTE. he is offering/going to offer shortly two different ATS 093 turbos that have different cold wheels and hot wheels for greatly improved efficiency and performance over the stock wheels.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you are not going to be towing, you want that 093 wastegated job, they turn up pretty regularly if you keep your eyes open . If you plan on towing on a regular basis, you might want to reconsider that wastegate thing.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cause with a load on a nongated turbo it's works alot better an holds high boost. Loaded I can hit 14-15 psi. An I hold between 5-12 psi loaded. For freeway an towing non gated. Hills Around town runner some towing stuff here an there waste gated is better.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Cause with a load on a nongated turbo it's works alot better an holds high boost. Loaded I can hit 14-15 psi. An I hold between 5-12 psi loaded. For freeway an towing non gated. Hills Around town runner some towing stuff here an there waste gated is better.

Exactly. I would imagine that an ungated turbo would also get you a slight fuel mileage advantage when unloaded since it rolls boost on without a load, but if towing regularly, that non gated turbo lays into the boost unrestricted , as the pull gets harder, you start easing your foot out of it as the boost builds. and it can keep going till the egts get to the limit, thats all that holds you back.
With a gated turbo if pulling a heavy load on a hill, its kind of like someone taking the wind out of your sails bit by bit as you're chugging along if you reach the point of wastegate opening.( at least it's not as bad as a blow off valve )

Black dawg

Reaction score
I dont know guys..... I have towed plenty with gated and non gated, and the gated kits just pull better.

I dont see how something that (on most non gated kits) doesnt start building ok boost till several hundred rpm AFTER the torque peak of the motor, could work better than a gated kit.

I personally prefer gated kits, quick boost, low smoke, good power.

The one big positive that I have seen with non gated kits is lower egt

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The non gated kits do run lower egt. an RDSL hit it on the head I floor it at the bottom of the hill an have let off to about half maybe lil more than half by the time I hit the grades peak. Blackdawg you are correct boost does come on a lil later than gated. I run 2700 RPM somtimes more on a grade loaded 15k gross.
My egt stay around 1,000 an if I lay into it underload at high boost egt's will drop. AS FOR TALKING ABOUT SMOKE you cant drive if your trucks a stick an your flogging the road I can drive my truck clean as a prius or BLACK out the road My choice its all in the pedal control (your foot) Unless automatic smoke doesnt occur unless its put there.
Also blackdawg is right boost comes on quicker in a gated kit when rolling around town or what not. I can have lil boost lag if its 0-whatever wot I build boost the hole time now when im out of it its gone. I cruse the freeway at 60-70 mph at 1-3 psi depends. Also it really depends on the driver an its use I have used an drove both kits an plan to put a custom turbo kit on my truck.
But I will never ever sell my ATS nongated 088 turbo its worth a million bucks its in the back out of the way of everything its clean looking minimal problems with the kit parts are out there silly easy gromet for drain GREAT KIT. I work on these trucks somtimes for people an I Charge More if its the 093 kit period nice turbo its in the way of everything I hate it but thats just me. Look up the 088 kit I really think you will like where it sets an how simple the kit really is. jm2c

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The non gated kits do run lower egt. an RDSL hit it on the head I floor it at the bottom of the hill an have let off to about half maybe lil more than half by the time I hit the grades peak. Blackdawg you are correct boost does come on a lil later than gated. I run 2700 RPM somtimes more on a grade loaded 15k gross.
My egt stay around 1,000 an if I lay into it underload at high boost egt's will drop. AS FOR TALKING ABOUT SMOKE you cant drive if your trucks a stick an your flogging the road I can drive my truck clean as a prius or BLACK out the road My choice its all in the pedal control (your foot) Unless automatic smoke doesnt occur unless its put there.
Also blackdawg is right boost comes on quicker in a gated kit when rolling around town or what not. I can have lil boost lag if its 0-whatever wot I build boost the hole time now when im out of it its gone. I cruse the freeway at 60-70 mph at 1-3 psi depends. Also it really depends on the driver an its use I have used an drove both kits an plan to put a custom turbo kit on my truck.
But I will never ever sell my ATS nongated 088 turbo its worth a million bucks its in the back out of the way of everything its clean looking minimal problems with the kit parts are out there silly easy gromet for drain GREAT KIT. I work on these trucks somtimes for people an I Charge More if its the 093 kit period nice turbo its in the way of everything I hate it but thats just me. Look up the 088 kit I really think you will like where it sets an how simple the kit really is. jm2c

you have really changed my view on these non gated turbos i think im goin to try to get a non gated turbo... if anyones got one pm me, if your close to my location

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online