ATS Slip fit insanity

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
There should be a day set aside each year where all owners of ATS turbo systems with slip fit pipes can go to the factory and line up behind the moron who designed the slip fit pipe setup and and kick the snot out of him :backoff

I'm trying to get my downpipe off to get my tranny out and it's not budging this time -cuss Only took about a half hour to get the tranny all ready to yank, but that stinking downpipe is turning into a career .

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldnt that be kicking the wrong end???

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you:backoff. That slip fit is a pain in the a$$. Stupid idea. I want to help kick, cause I had trouble getting mine together not to mention I have not tried to tear it apart yet, and hopem I do not have too the way it sounds

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh, I've used that same style downpipe on three different trucks and never had a problem. On my 94 I don't even have to mess with the downpipe to pull the tranny but it is close.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem here either, in part because I hit it with good 'ole never seize.

Even 8 years of salt and calcium here in the northeast couldn't stop it from dropping out at disassembly.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, maybe it's a good thing that I couldn't really get mine securely mounted to the transmission...it wiggles around enough during day-to-day driving that I could take it out anytime I wanted to.

Oh, and I also put a generous quantity of high-temp antisieze on there when I put everything together.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ones that are stuck have probably had the pipe clamp cranked down really tight and it has made matching indentions in the inner and outer pipe that will not come apart unless you can re-expand the outer pipe. I have had this same problem myself before and had to end up taking a grinder with a cutting disc and cutting reliefs in the sides of the outer slip pipe to get them apart. It sucks to do it, especially if you are reusing the pipe but sometimes that is just the only way to get it apart.

libsys

Reaction score
I agree! Without a doubt, the one thing that caused me the most grief when replacing my clutch was the downpipe. I ended up using a propane torch on the turbo outlet. Heat, wiggle, heat, wiggle, etc... Eventually it popped right out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A torch and Aerkroil sprayed on it will ease the removal but... Anti-sieze is the best repair bet. Just make sure the never sieze is rated for 1000 degrees or higher.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I squeezed down the end of mine into a swivel shape (using a pipe clamp) sort of like what the collector pipe connection has. Mine is also stainless, so removal is never hard.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It has plenty of high temp anti sieze on the thing, but that sucker has always been an insanely tight fit. I had to grind away a bunch of that downpipe when I bought the thing new just to get the thing to go into the hole -cuss So much for quality factory fit :backoff
I'm going to have to remove the rest of the tail pipe to get enough swing room to get a piece of pipe shoved in there for leverage to wiggle the thing around to break it loose, but that will have to wait till the rain stops. These old bones won't let me go out and play in that stuff -cuss

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ones that are stuck have probably had the pipe clamp cranked down really tight and it has made matching indentions in the inner and outer pipe that will not come apart unless you can re-expand the outer pipe. I have had this same problem myself before and had to end up taking a grinder with a cutting disc and cutting reliefs in the sides of the outer slip pipe to get them apart. It sucks to do it, especially if you are reusing the pipe but sometimes that is just the only way to get it apart.

It isnt built the way you think. The pipe slips into a cast iron housing on its way out of the turbo.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It isnt built the way you think. The pipe slips into a cast iron housing on its way out of the turbo.

I remember how the ATS setup is now, I was thinking of the older banks setup, that used to "wrap" around the bell housing. I know the connection you are talking about now though.