ATS Intercooler kit- worth it?

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Troutwest66-

In Calvin's setup, the factory airbox CAN be reused, to my knowledge. He's got the newer style turbo that sits "angled" on top of the engine.

In my setup, with the old style turbo, keeping the factory airbox will be a challenge. I've decided to make it work though, mainly because it simplifies CDR placement and seems to draw nice cold air from the grille area.

Ryan

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
I want to eliminate the factory airbox and go to an open element for better flow. So, I was hoping there was a filter that came right off of the turbo. The factory air box holds in too much heat and is restrictive. I did remove the whole snorkel because it is restrictive as well. Under hood temps won't be a problem when the truck is moving at highway speeds.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to be eliminating my ATS airbox and put in a "ricer" intake pipe. In order to get a fairly straight shot at the turbo opening, I will be putting in a Eseries feul filter base assy and use the Fseries bracket for holding down the intake pipe. Eventually, I will be blasting a hole in the fender for the air intake tube so the truck can go play in "wading pool deep" water. stay tuned...;Sweet

oh yea...here's what the engine compartment looks like at the moment.

Attachments

• ickitinstalled.jpg
    ickitinstalled.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 24

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
I don't see myself going to the intercooler on this truck. Another question is I'm not sure I want to go to a RDT. Is there any reason a longer hose couldn't be run from the CDR valve to the intake tube? Basically what the factory set up is, right? Calvin, will you have to move your fuel filter when you do the airfilter? Chris Binoeder did it on the Godzilla Jr. but that's such a great spot for the coolant filter (off the alt. bracket). I'm just kicking around ideas. I don't have the money for all this stuff right now anyway but when I do I want to have my battle plan ready to go.