ATS 088

BP6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kind of performance can i expect from my rebuilt 088 set up? will it it make 20lbs of booat with the larger compressor will it has in it?

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Larger wheel should give more top end boost, but will probably spool slower. How it reacts and max boost will rely on the overall engine build and condition.

BP6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well its got lowered compression and its been completely built, got head studs on the way right now

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decompressed with more fueling and a compressor wheel should get him another 5lbs i would think, but ya 20lbs makes for some pretty hot air. Keep in mind that the aftermarket turbos offered for our trucks, well the ATS at least, was designed to run 7-8lbs. Anything above that youre losing alot of efficiency. But then again you change that when you swap comp. wheels, housing/ ect.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well its got lowered compression and its been completely built, got head studs on the way right now

Your engine should take 20 psi quite easily but I'm not quite sure how a 088 performs but my guess is that as long as you have the fuel to spool it it will easily hit 20psi. You just have to be careful not to give it too much fuel cus you might hit over 20psi and you will have to watch your egts. What are you doing for fuel? You could always get a Moose Pump and Moose Injectors. :sly That would give you enough.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also do you have the 088 yet? I've been trying to get this question answered forever? Anyway my question is, what is the distance of the closest edge of the turbo exducer to the edge of the intake manifold and what is the distance of the closest part of the compressor housing (the snail part) to the edge of the intake manifold? The reason I ask is cus I'm thinking bout trading my 093 for an 088 and was wondering if it will work with my supercharger setup?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I've seen an 088 hit 16psi before so I don't think 20 is out of the question. Whether it is even close to efficient at that point is beyond me :dunno

BP6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well for 88 ford i can measure it in the morning before work, and as of this afternoon i have a stock 6.0 intercooler in the works and im prlly gona get injectors from dps, agnem said the moose injectors are on backorder and he cant get none for a wile and got a new pump from dps allready, will closing in the exhaust housing help any?

BP6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that and the guy i got the donor truck from, who had the turbo built (which aperaently blew up his motor) said it had a 60mm compressor wheel in it, and he tried to hit 20 with stock head bolts which was blew the motor and he lost intrest in it, thats when i got the truck for $500

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really dont want to step on toes here, but from what im seeing in the dyno charts posted for the moose stuff, it seems like the moose pump and dps injectors would be the way to go. Not sure what the difference is, something im trying to investigate at the moment. putting the moose injectors on with the dps pump he lost power, then when he put the moose pump on he gained alot more. So theoretically moose pump with dps injectors would be even better. That is given to say that the moose injectors werent just too big for the DPS pump that they were just popping all the fuel at once and not keeping the combustion event burning long enough. I think adding fuel to the cylinder even on its down travel would really do alot for spooling and max boost, although not sure how it would react via egts, let alone fuel mileage. I think thats one huge advantage diesels have over gassers is we can keep adding fuel after the valve closes. Which theoretically in my eyes makes torque numbers go through the roof. but also a disadvantage when it comes to tuning, aka pump, injectors, and timing; trying to find the sweet spot.