ATS 085 Turbo questions

fordviehman

Reaction score
I know these series of questions have probably been asked before on this forum or others but I would like to get clear, definite answers from you guys. So I just picked up a 085 ATS turbo kit off of the market place and have a few questions about it. I understand its a dinosaur kit and is very primitive in construction and design but I'm not looking for record numbers or to win any races out of my truck just want a boost in drive-ability while hauling my boat or my goose-neck in the Ozark hills. First question I planning on putting at least new seals and bearing in the turbo, I've kinda read around and think I have found that the turbo in this kit is based off of a T3 turbo. Is that correct? Because I know ATS won't have a rebuild kit for it and T3 rebuild kits are everywhere and that would be nice. Also down pipe mods on this turbo kit? It has the flat spot on the down pipe that makes it look like it got ran over. Should I just use the existing down pipe and fabricate a 3 inch one out of it? I'm open to ideas on that one. Finally, I know the exhaust sides of all three ATS models are different but what about the compressor side? R&D has a wicked wheel that says it works for the 093/094 and 088 turbo along with the hypermax. I understand that ATS went the cheap way with the 085 and 088 by making them large turbos and unwastegated to control the over boost issues possible on our motors.
Thanks Again
Ford

P.S. whenever I install the kit should I retorque the head bolts at all or just leave them. Eventually the motor is getting head studs but I'm a automotive student and I don't have to much money for that right now. The snap on and matco truck have all my money

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would contact Russ aka typ4 . He probably has any parts you may need, and he does great work if you don't want to do it yourself. The down pipe is actually a decent size. I didn't measure it but it is definitely not as restricted as the factory 093 kit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online