ats 085 help needed

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm in the process of pulling a 6.9 to replace head gaskets. It has an ats 085 kit. I can't get the engine out with the turbo kit installed, and I cannot remove the turbo. I've tried penetrating oil, heat, breaker bar.. The down pipe and flange bolts won't budge. Any ideas?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 093 elbow and uppipe was seized together. my only solution was to unbolt the cab and lift it 4 inches. that gave me all the room to rock back the whole assy and lift up and out.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive removed engines with them still in, had the front clip off which helped, but being able to angle the engine helps a lot

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that's what I'm going to have to do Calvin. Was trying my hardest to avoid it lol. Front clip is off but I don't have a leveler.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The downpipe doesn't have any flange bolts. Are you referring to the inlet/turbocharger mount? (Item 2)

Maybe try a small propane torch on the nuts. If it were me, I'd just break the bolts off and then re-tap them once the casting was removed. The amount of time you spend on trying to loosen rusty bolts usually can be made up by drilling them out (if you can get the casting on a bench, that is).

You must be registered for see images attach

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem (different kit but same issue) and ended up unbolting the manifolds. Gave plenty of room. It's that or the cab.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a leveller, you can shift your lifting point, or add an extra strap from one point upwards to your lift.
A 2x27' strap, the heavy duty kind you can get just about anywhere, works nicely in terms of weight handling.
Ya I've done that in the past. It actually works really well.
The downpipe doesn't have any flange bolts. Are you referring to the inlet/turbocharger mount? (Item 2)

Maybe try a small propane torch on the nuts. If it were me, I'd just break the bolts off and then re-tap them once the casting was removed. The amount of time you spend on trying to loosen rusty bolts usually can be made up by drilling them out (if you can get the casting on a bench, that is).

The dp was stuck in the exhaust outlet and the flange bolts were not coming off. The one flange bolt I could get to I had a breaker bar on and it wasn't moving. I was never going to get enough leverage on the others if they are stuck that bad. Thanks for the diagram !

I ended up just lifting the cab, came right out. I was just being lazy lol. Thanks guys !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online