Are these olives?

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just got my new pump, injectors and return line kit from Mel and there are some extra parts in the return line kit that I've never seen before.
They look too hard and thick to be olives but maybe they are. I want to use them on my fuel line from the filter to the injection pump, as mine are pretty shot.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are olives. The old ones can be a pita to get off.
If they don’t come off easy, soak them in brake fluid.
If they still don’t come off, get a little bottle torch and burn em off.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are olives. The old ones can be a pita to get off.
If they don’t come off easy, soak them in brake fluid.
If they still don’t come off, get a little bottle torch and burn em off.
Thanks, I'll try that!

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or flare compression fitting and flare packing are a few terms I've heard dealing with equipment. But yes olives, which go with the main lines coming from filter head to IP, and from mechanical fuel pump to fuel filter.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes Kenny, Those are the olives. They are truly a horror story to remove from the brass fittings too.Personally I use a dental pick to dig them out but brake fluid soaking softens them too. Flame is the last resort. The smaller 5/16 olives fit on the filter to injection pump line. the 3/8 olive fits the lift pump to filter head line end at the filter. Tighten them up but not like tightening a nut and bolt. You can always snug the brass fittings later is leaks appear. Also notice that the ends of the hard fuel lines are flared very little. Be sure you push the line deep into the female fitting. then thread the brass nut and the new olive keeping the line flair deep in the fitting.Enjoy the fitting on the rear of the injection pump too.My fast crippled hands really do not like working in this area much...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The two 5/16" ID olives are for the hard line from filter to IP, the two 3/8" ID olives, one is used for the hard line from lift pump to filter, some return line systems have a hard line from IP to tank return line, that's where the second 3/8' olive would go.

Do NOT over tighten them, just enough so they don't leak.

gandalf

Reaction score
Guess it's time for my perennial picture of olives. Pictured is the hard line between the fuel filter and the IP. The old olive is still on the hard line, the new olive is beside it. You can easily see that the olive takes the shape of the inside of that line nut. That is why you 1) don't want to overtighten, and 2) probably want to replace the olive whenever you remove the hard line.
You must be registered for see images attach