aquired 20 gallons of pink colored marine diesel fuel. anyone ever used it???

Trucker Cap

Troublemaker
Reaction score
just aquired 20 gallons of pink colored marine diesel fuel and filled up my tank with it. anyone ever used it? truck seems to run pretty well on it. any risks involved? anyone know why its pink? it smells a little sweeter than pump diesel.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are some major risks with it actually. The pink/red diesel is called off road and not taxed the same as onroad fuel. If you happen to get pulled over by state police or DOT expect some pretty large fines and it will take several tanks of onroad to flush that out so it doesnt show up on a tank dip test. There are no mechanical problems that will occur but but running died fuel in any onroad vehicle can still cost you

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are some major risks with it actually. The pink/red diesel is called off road and not taxed the same as onroad fuel. If you happen to get pulled over by state police or DOT expect some pretty large fines and it will take several tanks of onroad to flush that out so it doesnt show up on a tank dip test. There are no mechanical problems that will occur but but running died fuel in any onroad vehicle can still cost you
What he said. Chemically, it's the same fuel, so it won't damage your engine, but it's seriously illegal to run that fuel...the red/pink dye is to mark it as untaxed fuel. IIRC the fine can be $10K per gallon of capacity :shocked:

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get checked once or twice a month and each time i have to explain to them that my front tank is no longer connected to the engine and is only plumbed to my welder and the transfer pump for filling filters and if something runs out of fuel i can pump a few gallons in to get it to the big tank

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OH crap dump a ***** load of ATF in make it RED and then say ya Lube for pump cause non sulfur diesel sucks...

Trucker Cap

Troublemaker
Reaction score
Holy hell! Just did a Google search on the pink stuff. I guess its really big fine to run it cause its untaxed. I had no idea, but 20 gallons of free fuel from my boat mechanic friend was hard to turn down! I'm in central Florida and diesel is $4.10 a gallon. I wonder how much of that is road tax? This pink stuff must be cheap, but risky as hell to run in your truck...

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
OH crap dump a ***** load of ATF in make it RED and then say ya Lube for pump cause non sulfur diesel sucks...

IIRC the test material doesn't just show fuel color, but reacts to the dye itself. So masking the color, even with WMO would still not fool the test.

Trucker Cap

Troublemaker
Reaction score
I've never heard of testing for this before, but then again, it seems like its not worth running this stuff. I topped off 15 gallons in my rear tank and another 5 or 6 in the front. Ignorance can be bliss for a short moment Hahaha. Looks like I've got some driving to do!

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like i said though it will take several tanks of road fuel to clean it out. They usually dont just pull over a pickup though to dip the tank unless you are pulling trailers or are around quarries/mines a lot

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine leaves his atf bottles in the bed, its worked 3 times so far. Same dye. Or so I was told.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep your head down and you'll be fine.
Like stated before, Typically they are not going to pull you over just to dip your tank. If you do get pulled over just shut the truck off and they probably wont even know its a diesel. Heck most people dont even know trucks as old as ours came with them factory!

I do like the ATF bottle in the bed trick. I know a guy that keeps Marvol Mystery Oil in his truck for a such occasion

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your not going to caught unless you pull onto the truck scales and wave the diesel police over and tell them to dip your tank.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Oregon I've never seen a non-commercial truck dipped ever. But I'm sure anything could happen.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) have locking gas caps on your tanks. non-locking caps = no consent to dip. locking = must get consent.
2) filter two gallons of WMO for each tank and red problem solved immeadiately and will take just as damn long to clear out.
done :D