Apologies... Coolant flush + Questions

MandolinMan

Reaction score
I know that there's about a million threads online asking about coolant for the 7.3 idi, and believe me, I've read through at least half of them in the past few weeks. That being said, I still have a few questions:

The coolant in my IDI now ( original from when I bought the truck a few months ago) is green. But don't know anymore about it than that. Not sure If the previous owner kept up on an additive or not. So I was guessing the best thing to do would be drain the coolant and start over.

I was about to order the Fleetguard DCA4 SCA additive, but wasn't sure how much I needed? 16oz bottle enough?

I bought some coolant/antifreeze from Napa. It just regular green ethylene glycol low silicate stuff in a blue bottle. Just wanted to ask and make sure that this stuff is fine???

Also, If someone could explain the steps to draining and flushing the system I'd appreciate it. I'm not very mechanically inclined, but I think I can pull it off.

Thanks.

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally would get a test strip from your auto parts store and test what you have. It may be fine. The test strip will show the SCA level as well as the protection level of the coolant/anti freeze.

MandolinMan

Reaction score
I thought that test strips were coolant brand specific? For example: Napa's SCA additive requires NAPA test strips, and Fleetguard additive requires fleetguard test strips. Are there generic/ universal test strips? As I mentioned before, I'm completely new to diesels so I could be wrong. Just something I read on a couple of different forums I think.

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum by the way. We will need someone to chime in that has some insight in this. I had not heard that before, I would be surprised as it is just measuring a level like ph, electrolysis or any other similar test. But I was wrong once before...or twice.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that there's about a million threads online asking about coolant for the 7.3 idi, and believe me, I've read through at least half of them in the past few weeks. That being said, I still have a few questions:

The coolant in my IDI now ( original from when I bought the truck a few months ago) is green. But don't know anymore about it than that. Not sure If the previous owner kept up on an additive or not. So I was guessing the best thing to do would be drain the coolant and start over.

With what you have in there is any ones guess. So, drain and flush, then you have a starting point.

I was about to order the Fleetguard DCA4 SCA additive, but wasn't sure how much I needed? 16oz bottle enough?

Just get the FleetGard with the SCA in it, no need to guess then, no strips needed. Get 4 Gals. of concentrate, 4 Gals. of Steam Distilled water, and charge the system after flushing.

I bought some coolant/antifreeze from Napa. It just regular green ethylene glycol low silicate stuff in a blue bottle. Just wanted to ask and make sure that this stuff is fine???

Take this back and do as above.

Also, If someone could explain the steps to draining and flushing the system I'd appreciate it. I'm not very mechanically inclined, but I think I can pull it off.

Drain the system, radiator and block, there is two (2) drains on the block, one on each side to the rear, the one on pass side is behind the starter. Get two petcocks to replace the pipe plugs. remove the t'stat, replace the neck and hoses, install the petcocks. Fill the system with just plain water, run the engine til warmed up, not real hot. Drain the system again. Install the t'stat. Fill the system with coolant, FleetGard in first then the water. Disconnect the heater hose at the heater, the one going into the block, this will help relieve the air in the system, when full, reconnect the heater hose. Run engine with rad cap off until coolant flow is shown in the radiator, t'stat will will be open then, add water as needed, kepp level 1" below full.

Thanks.

Amen.

Last edited:

MandolinMan

Reaction score
Is the precharged Fleetguard recommended above an extended life coolant? I've read a lot of discussions over whether or not these should be used in the IDI.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I now used this...
http://www.amazon.com/Zerex-ZX002-O...1389580075&sr=8-6&keywords=zerex+low+silicate

and this...
http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-Di...=UTF8&qid=1389580132&sr=8-2&keywords=ford+vc8

These strips are compatible with the ford VC-8 and the fleet guard SCAs. No point in getting a huge bottle of them as they expire in about 1-2 years.
http://www.amazon.com/Fleetguard-Co...=1389580252&sr=8-2&keywords=diesel+test+strip

Napa sells the zerex low silicate. Whatever you bought in a blue bottle will probably be fine too, as long as it's low silicate. You need to put in two VC8 bottles for a full coolant change out. Check levels periodically. You can add a filter with slow release SCAs too to help normalize the levels aswell over the long run.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple suggestions: although I completely agree with OldBull on "getting a good starting point", I would also go to the closest big truck supply shop and get some test strips just to see where the past service history was in regards to SCAs. I checked mine when I got it and was pleasantly surprised to see that the SCAs were right were they were supposed to be. You'd be surprised how many folks know about the additives required for the 7.3 cooling system.

Good luck