Anyone seen injectors last this long?

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My injectors are grey international color under the air cleaner. Not sure how i missed that.

Unless they were rebuilt at some point they have 347,000 miles on them. I have all the maintenance records for the truck since 2001. 250,000 miles worth of records. Nothing about injectors.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have seen over 400k on a neglected truck, and it ran very poorly.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I have 212000 or so on mine in my crawler. Pump too. But the pump has been finikey lately

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, so its is possible. Add me too that list of tons of miles on injectors.

Mine runs poorly to say the least too. Its odd because it was running fine until a month ago. But, before that it did start to idle a bit funky but i though nothing of it. Then on a moving trip it just sounded weird, then it got to where it is. Parked for a few weeks, while i get parts and work on it.

Other than that i got 21mpg on highway, and it never smoked unless you stomped on it. I didn't drive it much this summer ( only filled it up 3 times ) so i probably just extended the inevitable, and if there was a drop in mpg i didn't notice.

But, the truck will have a new ip, injectors, return lines, fuel pump, filter. Should go another 100,000 at least. I figure at that point i will stop using it as a daily driver.

Oh well truck only cost me $400 1 1/2 years ago. I think i have $1500 into it including the cost of the truck now. Can't beat that price. Other than this fuel system issue, i've just done brakes, u joints, voltage regulator, alternator belt, master cylinder.

Also got a ferret adapter on order. I guess i should buy a few more idi's to offset my cost haha.

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys...I have 212K on my injectors and IP...For the IP and injectors I burn Diesel Kleen every other tankful. On the tankful I don't burn Diesel Kleen I burn 1 oz. of 2 stroke TCW oil per gallonof fuel. In other words I alternate between the two. In addition, every 30K I pull my injectors and ultrasonically clean them overnight in diesel fuel. My truck continues to run fine. I know tho...that a new IP is in my future...Can't ultrasonically clean it...Oh I guess I could...but afraid to tear into it...

Anyway...just my 2 cents

Reaction score
Wow, you guys give me hope! Mine's low-mileage, so it'll probably take me another 10 years before I even come close to the 'generally agreed upon' max life of 150K miles. But if I keep her on the steady diet of Diesel Kleen she's been on since I bought her, perhaps I can push that out another 5 or so.

Hopefully someone who knows how to (re)build IPs and injectors will still be around then, lol!

Mike

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your local injection shop should still be building stuff. Mine had no problem getting one for me. Authorized stanadyne dealer so i figure they do good work.

Just don't let your injectors go too long. My truck likes to run like crap. Surges all the time. I don't drive it because i can't. But, with a new ip and injectors it should be good to go.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Hey Guys...I have 212K on my injectors and IP...For the IP and injectors I burn Diesel Kleen every other tankful. On the tankful I don't burn Diesel Kleen I burn 1 oz. of 2 stroke TCW oil per gallonof fuel. In other words I alternate between the two. In addition, every 30K I pull my injectors and ultrasonically clean them overnight in diesel fuel. My truck continues to run fine. I know tho...that a new IP is in my future...Can't ultrasonically clean it...Oh I guess I could...but afraid to tear into it...

Anyway...just my 2 cents

I'm glad you mentioned that. I've got to replace my pump soon and I have an ultrasonic cleaner I got a while back for cleaning injectors etc, but I've never thought of just cleaning them for the heck of it, but if ive got teh lines out anyway, might as well, it's as good a time as any to get the tips all nice and tidy to extend life

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Robert... When you have the injecters out for cleaning this might be a great time to check the pop pressures. Adjust as needed. It sure makes for a smooth running engine when they all pop around the same pressures...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online