Anyone run Rotella 15w40

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too used to run rotella, and oil consumption went WAY down when I switched to Mobil Delvac. I now run delvac and a Powerstroke filter (Either motorcraft, wix, or purolator)

Try a Wix 1734XE tell us how it works for you...
by the way it is cheaper to use than getting the ones you mentioned free.

Javier

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Dang Im itching to put it on, have an extra 2 qts to add when Im finished. I have everything to do this. :sly

Javier

WOW, I havent see one that purdy in a LONG time. It will work great. You can mount it in a number of ways. Its short enough to mount upright , but you dont have to, it can be mounted on its side, only advantage to having it upright is you dont get an armful when you pop the cap at filter change time, you can mount it on a frame rail at an angle and sort of minimalize the arm oil bath and also aim your hoses right under the frame rail that way.

nine9six

Desmo Inside
Reaction score
Dang! I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. Ironically I was searching for Oil threads and this one never came up.

I just ordered 3 Gallons of Rotella 15w40 and the FL1995 filter from Amazon. After seeing that piston picture...I'm afraid to use the stuff. I don't mind the consumption from an "I spent $ on oil" standpoint, but will it be that bad to run it this one time?

I'm pretty sure my grandfather ran Motorcraft oil in it while he drove it, but I got an insane deal on the 3 Gallons of Rotella so I went with it.

I've put 2K miles on the truck and want to change the oil, and the order already shipped. Was hoping to do it this weekend...but now I don't know what to do!

TL: DR

Is Rotella safe to use one time? This truck is my baby and I don't want to cause any damage to it. Thanks!

*EDIT*

The reason I want to change the oil is because the truck has been sitting for years. My grandfather would start the truck every few weeks, let it run for a few minutes, and then turn it off. It's at 62K (original) miles, and I want to keep it in the great shape it's in. I mean, she's pristine!

nine9six

Desmo Inside
Reaction score
Yeah, that's probably what I'll end up doing. I can just pick up some oil from a local auto parts store. Shame, though, as I got the 3 Gallons of Rotella for next to nothing.

I'd feel a LOT worse if I came across this thread moments after I did the oil change!

nine9six

Desmo Inside
Reaction score
I attempted to cancel the order from Amazon, but it said that the order was close to shipping so they may not be able to cancel it (damn you Amazon Prime!).

If they don't ship it, I'll buy something locally. If they do indeed ship it, I'll run it for a short duration and drain it.

I've never heard of Auto-RX, so I'll have to look it up and see if it's around locally. Thanks!

*EDIT*

I came across this thread, and now I'm scared to try the Auto-RX stuff:

Link

Sw1tchfoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run Rotella in everything because I leak it anyway, no need to spend any more money.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm about to go read that thread. But before I do: Gas engines will react differently to it. One reason being they don't run as hot. Everyone here that's used it has had great results.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Rotella took out the engine on our 3cyl diesel tractor in less than 1K hours..................................

the non-synth rotella is on the top of the worst oils list. the syn rot is good stuff according to said list and a lot of the 6.0L psd guys run it. if those engines like it, it must be good. i still will NEVER use it.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
here you go.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/TDR57_Oil.pdf

BEST OIL's
Cummins/Valvoline Premium Blue 15W40 CI-4 plus CI-4 plus
17.36 8 Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 CI-4 plus CI-4 plus
21.89 12 Cummins/Valvoline Premium Blue Syn. 5W40 CI-4 plus CI-4 plus
9.98 13 Pennzoil Long Life 15W40 CI-4 plus CI-4 plus
10.88 14 Chevron Delo 400 15W40 CI-4 plus CI-4 plus
35.00 20 Red Line Diesel Synthetic 15W40 CI-4 plus CI-4

Good
10.36 2 NAPA Universal Fleet Plus 15W40 CI-4 CI-4
25.70 10 Amsoil 5W40 CI-4 CI-4 plus
13.51 15 Caterpillar DEO 15W40 CI-4 CI-4 plus
12.68 16 John Deere Plus-50 15W40 CI-4 CI-4
19.99 18 Lucas 15/40 Magnum 15W40 CI-4 CI-4

WORST OIL'S
10.96 4 Shell Rotella T Triple Protection 15W40 CJ-4 CJ-4
27.55 9 Amsoil Premium Synthetic 5W40 CJ-4 CJ-4
10.80 11 Castrol Tection 15W40 CJ-4 CJ-4
12.99 17 Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W40 CJ-4 CJ-4

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well I read through that thread and was not impressed with all the bafoonery going on.

One guy had a seal leak which obviously could not have been caused by the auto-Rx. Then decided to bad mouth the product because he couldn't get his way. (He was obviously born with a silver spoon in his mouth)

All the other posting in there was just supposedly copy and paste stuff.
Are you really going to believe that?

I have not used auto-rx, nor do I endorse it. Will I use it? Absolutely.
Are there other products to use? Yes.

Marvel mystery oil works.
ATF works.
Seafoam works.