Anyone run Rotella 15w40

McGIDI

Reaction score
i am trying to decide on what oil i want to run in my 6.9 with 190 k... its due for a change when i get home from afghanistan.... new air filter as well and what kind of oil filter would be the best bet.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
That would be great. Everyone (including myself) that I've seen run Rotella in these trucks burns an ungodly amount of it, I don't get it, because when we switch to something else, we're fine, but these engines do not like Rotella.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotella is a great oil but there have been enough posts here about trucks drinking it that there muat be a reason. I'm running rotella 5w40 and mine really drank that at first. Like 350 miles per qt. The consumption has since slowed. Maybe mine got used to it somehow. My next oil will be supertech 15w40. That oil did great in my peterbiilt.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want top of the line amsoil 15W40 Marine w/ amsoil dual bypass would be great, then you will be good for 10-15K mile oil changes (samples pending).

Next option is a by pass kit (brand doesnt matter) high quality filter and Mobile 1 5W40 (or other high quality synthetic) and 10-15K miles w/ samples is still possible.

Cheapest and most common for rigs that dont see a whole lot of miles is Delo 400 and 7.3L Powerstroke filter.

McGIDI

Reaction score
All this info is awesome and im so greatful. I may run the amsoil and then the powerstroke filter thats what it is looking like. I dont mind more frequent changes besides i can get under there and give it a good run through while im at it. What kind of air filter do you guys recomend!

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly if you arent running Amsoil filters then dont worry about the amsoil oil. You can get a OEM Powerstroke amsoil filter, very good filter media still and 5K miles nontowing isnt unreasonable with that set up. I run a different set up on all of my trucks depending on the # of miles I put on each perticular truck and what loads they pull.

Dmax has stock AC Delco Filter and Mobile 1 5W40, Normal oil change @ 15K and the samples show its good for atleast 10K more. That engine runs VERY clean.
00 FS2500 single by pass with OEM filter still intact. Run Dmax (~1qt bigger) Ac delco and 5W40 before the engine fire @45K miles
95 Amsoil Dual Bypass w/ 15W40 Marine and I typically get 15K-30K on each change. I started with frequent samples and found 10K is no big deal for that truck so I sample at 10K then every 5K.
94 (has 350K hard miles) get 1,500 mile oil changes with cheap Chit
93 K3500 (has 250K hard miles) oil change ecery time it uses 1qt with Delo 15W40 and Ac Delco Dmax filter
93 c3500 (bought locked up) Has FS2500 system just like the 00 but will have the +2qt cat filter since it is 2wd and doesnt need an antidrain back (upright filter instead of 90* turn)

See any combo can be used, if you do extended intervals over 5K you need to take samples, not every truck runs as clean as others. I throw auto rx in every other change on my highmile workhorses, Oil usage is slowly going down. Used it on my 95 and it took it from using a qt in 10K to having near 20K on a change w/ Auto RX still in the oil and only being down 1/2qt! Love that engine!

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want top of the line amsoil 15W40 Marine w/ amsoil dual bypass would be great, then you will be good for 10-15K mile oil changes (samples pending).

Next option is a by pass kit (brand doesnt matter) high quality filter and Mobile 1 5W40 (or other high quality synthetic) and 10-15K miles w/ samples is still possible.

Cheapest and most common for rigs that dont see a whole lot of miles is Delo 400 and 7.3L Powerstroke filter.

What's this talk of "bypass" and "dual bypass" it's almost at the time for me to change out my break in oil in my reman and i want the bestest of the bestest to put in it so i'm glad this thread came up.

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
Ive ran it a couple times and drank it faster then i knew what to do with. I now run 5w40 in winter and 15w40 in the summer chevron delo 400 best oil ive ever used, i might burn 200 mL in about 5000 km and thats exaduarating it alot id think. My engine has 192xxxkm...

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bypass is a filter that diverts a SMALL amount of oil into its system but its large in size and collects the small particles out of the oil, at a slow rate.

The amsoil dual bypass is a kit with a remote mounted fiter head with 2 filters on it. One is OEM style full flow, the other is orficed and is the bypass filter.

There are other universal remote mount filter set ups that can be used.