Anyone Put A Turbo CDR Setup on an NA 7.3 IDI?

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Like the title states has anyone done this or can it be done?

I have read it can help with the cavitation issue on the back cylinders but really if anything would just make it a lot easier to access and change.

I may be way off base here because I don't know how the actual CDR is setup on a turbo idi and if the parts required for the setup aren't on an NA idi but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do some reading up on it but I'm not sure it'd work out that well. You'd have to get a different valve cover plus where would you run the end of the hose coming from (downstream of) the CDR? N/A its just sealed against the back of the intake, so if you take it off from there you'd just have a smooth hole with no hose barb or threads or anything....

As far as the cavitation issue I'd have to call BS.....don't see how that would have anything to do with it.

JM2CW

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so how is it done on the turbo engine? and how does one seal the hole from the old location? a poeice of metal and some jb weld?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ATS turbo mounting pedestal bolts in place of the CDR on the back of the intake and has an O-ring to sit right up against the intake, sealing it off. This same casting is the oil drain from the turbo, into the valley pan.

Then the factory turbo engines have a hole and a bracket on one of the valve covers, the CDR bolts to the bracket and seals up against the hole, and a hose runs from the CDR to the intake, post-air-filter but pre-turbo. If I'm wrong please correct me.

I did away entirely with the factory intake and built my own. I followed a couple of other members leads. Sycostang67 and vandy7.3 I believe. Thanks guys! I really like how it turned out.

Your method and results may vary.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Well that pretty much answers it, that it's about impossible. Not totally impossible but enough that it isn't worth actually doing on an NA motor.

Thanks guys. Feel free to continue on with any of the other discussions in the thread though.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Right. It's not like you have to change it every other oil change or anything ;Sweet:thumbsup:

I know it is just really hard to view down into the back of the intake where the rubber meets the intake to make sure the O-ring isn't torn or leaking oil there, plus laying on top of the motor and reaching back there hurts like hell LOL.

So if there was a half way easy way to change it I was going to, but looks like I will just be toughing it out.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha if you think that's bad you should try putting a turbo kit on one of these trucks!! LOL

bud48fla

Reaction score
You can buy the Banks CDR relocation kit from Jegs or others that has a spacer that goes where the oil fill is and the CDR is mounted on the air intake. I don't know how it would mount on a stock air cleaner. I have the kit on order, but it won't be in for a week are so. I do have a turbo on a 6.9L

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online