Anyone in NW TX who can weld?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Is anyone around Amarillo or Lubbock who can weld? I'm north of Amarillo right now.

I need a couple of steel casters (bought already) welded on the skids of my RV. It was poorly designed so that it has to drag on steep slopes. The RH skid drags worse and it's almost worn down completely.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I can weld, but you'd have to travel a bit further west...

to Albuquerque.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Sadly I already drove through there, and I didn't have the casters yet. I thought to check the skids again last week and saw one is nearly worn down. So, so i can't put this off anymore. The pair of casters were $50 but it's what it needs. they are very heavy duty and can be greased with a grease gun.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Too bad I live up in NE, I would weld that up in a heartbeat for ya.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welding would be ideal, but if you take the rollers off, drill through the skid and through the caster frame, countersink the hole in the caster frame, then you could bolt it onto the skid with some short stove bolts.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Welding would be ideal, but if you take the rollers off, drill through the skid and through the caster frame, countersink the hole in the caster frame, then you could bolt it onto the skid with some short stove bolts.
There's no room in the bracket for a bolt I don't think. I don't want them rotating either.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured it would be too tight for a bolt head. Countersink the hole and use a stove bolt. The head will sit down in the countersink. Two bolts per each to keep them straight.
Welding would definitely be better.

Attachments

• 80375.jpg
    80375.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 0

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The skid isn't that big really. I wouldn't want to weaken it with holes for bolts. I'm sure I can find somewhere in Amarillo (45 miles on my way south) to have it done. I tried posting on FB groups and here first in case someone was nearby, by chance.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always find a harbor freight nearby, and get everything you need to take a stab at it yourself for about $200. Even a total beginner can make strong welds, they just won’t be pretty. There are some really good YouTube tutorials out there to show you how to do it. You can always sell the stuff afterwards and get most of your money back too.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Stick welders are cheap online ($70 shipped) but I'm not sure that's a good place to do a first time weld job, having to lay down underneath and work in such a tight space.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Stick welders are cheap online ($70 shipped) but I'm not sure that's a good place to do a first time weld job, having to lay down underneath and work in such a tight space.
Definitely not ideal trying an overhead stick weld for a first go. Usually takes quite a bit of practice to be able to produce anything remotely safe on an overhead.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Try calling a couple of muffler, trailer hitch, or decorative fence companies. Explain it will only take 30minutes and ask what would they charge. Be sure to unhook all the batteries before they start. Maybe hit the breakers for the 110v in the vehicle.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep your eyes open for a guy with a welding rig on his truck at any gas station, fast food joint, or Home Depot. I bet you could get those welded on for a 12 pack or two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online