Anyone in NW TX who can weld?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Well I guess it's gonna cost me $100 to have them welded on. No one in local FB buy/sell groups is interested in the job it seems. I contacted a shop in Amarillo that is $150 minimum which seems rather expensive.

Today though, I happened to drive past a metal shop here in this town and their FB page has pics of custom gates and such things, so it was obvious they do welding. They responded on FB and said about $100 to do it based on the photo below that I showed them. So, I guess that's what I'll do. I was expecting it to be about $50-80 but if that's what people around here charge, so be it. I don't want to put it off anymore and it needs a professional to do it, being such a heavy duty application.

It's gonna make the rear contact the ground more often since the caster will reduce the ground clearance a couple inches vs the skid, but at least with the casters, it'll roll instead of drag.

Minor annoyance that I need to wait until Monday now though, since they close at 3:30 and I only thought to contact them a bit ago at 3 on a Friday (today). They said drop by and they'll try to fit me in, so.... ok.

Attachments

• PXL_20211106_162030516.jpg
    PXL_20211106_162030516.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I wonder if they would charge much more to shorten the skids so the casters are the same height the skids used to be.

Yeah, I thought about that too. I'll see what they say when I get there. It might be better off with the lower ground clearance though since my trailer has a tendency to contact the ground when the RV does if I go down a slope and also go up one at the same time. Twice recently the 4 wire flat trailer wire has gotten caught under the trailer tongue and was damaged. The first time, I just had to splice it. This time, the actual connector (trailer side) got damaged, losing one of the metal connectors. Those couple inches might help the trailer a bit since the hitch will be kept up a couple inches higher due to the casters. I also need to loosely zip tie the cable up so hopefully it can't get caught under there. Despite being a top of the line Class C motorhome in it's day, the rear end was poorly designed and just has to drag sometimes. Also, I've always been worried about the drain pipe being damaged due to how close it is to the ground when drags. Oh yeah, there's that too. 3" ABS has to run through the other side from the black tank to the drain valve and outlet.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: